Stig

Is the engine subframe the same in a Corrado and a Golf MkII?

Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I'll try.

My engine subframe (or at least that's what I think it's called, I'm having trouble translating it, this thing) was so rust that it just sorta broke off when my brother was driving. Not all the was, but it's in no condition to be driven in. Anyways, I'm on the lookout for a replacement, and someone said the one in the MkII-Golf is identical, something that would make my search so much easier, as there are very few Corrados around here.

Thanks,

Stig

Yep they are the same, assuming yours isn't a vr. Stick a wanted up on here chap, plenty being broken at the mo.

May be worth posting a pic if you're not sure what the part is, could save you pennies.

theyre not identical , would swap and work but the corrado has little plates /legs at the rear near the arb mounts that the golf is missing

might as well get the proper 4 cly rado one , theres enough about still

The golf mk3 subframe is a closer match, you just need to shorten the legs.

I'm sure I've come acrosss a build thread (on here) of it being done but you'd need to search.

Yep they are the same, assuming yours isn't a vr. Stick a wanted up on here chap, plenty being broken at the mo.

May be worth posting a pic if you're not sure what the part is, could save you pennies.

They are definitely not identical. Well done for using the search also. I covered this about 2 years ago :wave:

Edit: Make that 3.5 years ago.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?38704-Using-mk2-golf-subframe-on-Corrado-ffs...&highlight=corrado+golf+subframe

using the terms "corrado golf subframe" in the search function.

Edited by boost monkey

Yeah, so it would need some modifications to fit? Just wondering, based on that thread, does a subframe from a Passat fit, or wold it be too wide or something?

pretty sure the passat frame is the same. The golf mk2 one will fit - you will just lose the vibration damping block attachment towards the front edge of the frame, and also the rear tabs that extend further down the chassis rails for extra support at the back past the anti-roll bar. Also you *may* have to use mk2 golf wishbones, but i'm not 100% on that. been a while since i played around with the idea.

Also, if you're looking into getting a new mk2 frame - try here. Not sure if theyre any good. only ordered a stalk from them so far.

Well I stand half corrected then. I presumed they were the same as they are interchangeable, but my point was ask for a breaker on here.

Are there anyone here that know for sure if a B3-subframe fits? I would buy an original one from a Corrado from the B&S-section here if it wasn't for the fact that I live in Norway, and transport and customs and everything would cost several times as much money as the part itself, and thats just something that I can't really afford right now, so if I could just find one from an old Passat it would save me so much time and money.

No idea with the B3 nonsense - what year passat are you talking about? You could compare part numbers yourself at http://www.vagcat.com which is like an online version of ETKA which is partly in Russian :D You'll need to register to access the catalog but it's all free and the part numbers all check out as that's what I use.

Sorry for reviving an old thread but im curious to see if the engine mounts are the same/position?

im about to fit a vr6 supercharged engine to my g60 and wondered if it would bolt straight in?

It'll not bolt straight in but will always be able to fit with some patience.

On another note, it would be far easier getting a VR and swapping your charged lump, G60's are rare you know?

laurie, you will need front cross member for sure as the front engine mount is completely different between 4-cyl and 6-cyl engine.

You will probably need VR6 subframe (rear engine mount and gearbox mount fixing frame) also.