4DUST

VR6 Awful Noise - Intermediate shaft bearing?

Hello All,

After the cam jumping a tooth following a head gasket change the VR has developed this awful squeaking grinding noise! Was only for a second then the chain reset. I have since the tooth jump stripped the head completely and rebuilt it and machined it flat, manifolds cleaned inspected with new gaskets all round, new spark plugs, new top chain tensioner, new aux belt, full set of new hydraulic followers. I also had the cams micro polished and all looks fine. All the guides, chains, tensioners, piston rings, crankshaft regrind with new bearings this summer. The noise only occurs once the oil is up to temp starting at around 60c and is at its worst when at normal oil temp of around 90c+. The noise is below the head around the intermediate shaft area which is leading me to think that the already high milage bearings may have gone under the extra load from the cam tooth jumping. The intermediate shaft bearings were the only things I did not change. The oil pump is only a couple of years old.

Thoughts would be appreciated please. I have done so much and am really demoralised after engine out twice this summer :-(

Noise link via youtube is below!

Thank you