Bex000

Air mass metre...

Hi can anyone tell me if they've had problems with the connection to the air mass metre on a VR6 94 reg and what they did?

The car seems to lose power when accelerating out of lower gears and I'm not sure whether this is a related problem or not, but changing down gears it just cuts out!!!

Help!! :o)

Exactly what mine was doing (N-reg so 1995 manufacture). On mine one of the end wires had got metal fatigue and fallen off - the previous owner had fitted a cone filter without any mounting bracket, so its weight was making the MAF bob up and down and the connector suffered.

I tried to get hold of a connector off a car being broken but it turns out there are at least two types and I'd got the wrong one. To fix it in the meantime, I cut into the back of the MAF connector with some side-cutters until I exposed some of the wire and then soldered the loose bit of loom back on, with a bit of heatshrink over it to stop it getting wet. I keep meaning to sort it out but it's still holding up fine months later!

I can take some pics later if it would help?

Stone

Thanks for that!

Some pics would be excellent as I have it booked in to be fixed on Friday and the addition of a few pictures might make me look less like 'rip me off central' :o)

I've been spraying contact spray to the corroded area for the last 6 months which seems to work for a while then it resurfaces.

Anyway thanks again for the help!

Bex :o)