dj_adam

Temporary ECU swap

Hi guys/gals, I've been having some trouble with a non-running 9A corrado and suspect the ECU. A friend of mine has a 16V golf and i was wondering if anyone knew if the ECU's were interchangeable for testing purposes. The plugs, leads, rotor, and cap are all new. I have even fitted a new coil and ignition amp. The bloody thing still won't start. There is an immobiliser on the car, but I assume its working fine as the car did run and then slowly died during some bad weather. Perhaps the ECU drowned as its so exposed to the elements.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Cheers

Golf's didn't get the 9A, only the KR which is mechanical injection so no ECU...

With issues like this the first things to try and the Ignition switch, fuel pump and ECU relays?

K-Jet ECU's are fairly robust tbh, it's Digifant ones that are a bit more fragile...

You didn't say which type of Golf 16v!

MK2 Golf is k-jet as opposed to KE-jet in the 9a - but to be honest calling the MK2 ECU an 'ECU' is stretching it a bit, as it only really controls igniton timings and doesn't respond to many sensor inputs (temperature control and idle control is handled off-ECU). Don't really know much about KE-jet on the 9a but it has has lambda and knock control which I believe is on the ke-jet ECU, the MK2 16v ECU doesn't have this. The 9a ECU is also designed to work with a cat, which the MK2 16v one is not.

MK3 Golf 16v is Digifant 3 and completely incompatible.

Hi i do have a spare 2.0 ecu, which i can let you have at a good price.

let me know if you get stuck

rod

Thanks for your replies guys. I am in Rossendale, Lancs.

The fuel pump is defo good and the metering head supplies good pressure to the injectors. Its a 'no spark' issue for sure. I've checked all fuses but totally overlooked the relays. Is there a relay for the ECU and which one is it? Could there be any single one sensor that would instruct the ECU not to fire the coil? Gonna try a different coil lead this week just in case.

Cheers for your help on this.