eurospec

1.6 16v KR fuel pump problems

Basically the inline fuel pump (under the car) has given up the ghost. It sounds as if it's jammed when you give it power, doesn't spin.

I bought a replacement (second hand) off ebay a few months ago as the one on the car had started buzzing quite loud and sounded as if it was on its way out, and now its finally gone.

I went to fit the replacement today and its completely different? The part number for the one on the car is 191 906 091H, and the one I have as a replacement is 191 906 090.

The fuel accumulators are different because the pumps are different sizes, but they both have the same mounting brackets.

Now my question is, could I use the smaller pump on my car? It has the fuel accumulator, and filter bolted to it, but the one I have taken off the car has another part on it which I can only guess is a fuel pressure regulator? Could I just swap the regulator over to my replacement fuel pump and use that, or am I going to have to try and find a new pump alltogether?

Any help is appreciated as I need the car back on the road ASAP.

If anyone has a fuel pump and accumulator off a 1989 1.8 16v KR for sale then let me know and Ill buy it off you providing its the correct part number.

Cheers guys and Merry Christmas!

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

Right ive done some digging around online.

Do you reckon I could use the replacement pump (3BAR at 75LPH) in place of the one on the car (5BAR at 125LPH)? The engine sends back what it doesn't need, does anyone know how much fuel a KR uses at full chat lol?

Hey I would say it would not be worth fitting the wrong part. You could check and see what the pump you have is and what pressure it puts out, as the K-jet is a high pressure fuel system, but I would say if your not sure then get the right pump as it could cause other problems.

Also if your pumps are dying then there has to be a reason for this. It could be worth checking you lift pump in the tank and making sure your fuel filter is not to old. Sounds like your pump is straining.

To check your lift pump you could open up the tank via the boot and make sure you can here it prime when someone turns on the ignition.

I replaced the lift pump not so long ago, but the inline pump was still sounding bad. The inline pump is broken now anyway so I will replace the filter whilst im changing the pump.

I've found out that I can only use a Kjet pump anyway as none of the others are high enough pressure.

Got it all sorted now, car is running strange though.

It ran fine after I had replaced everything, seemed abit quicker, but now it doesn't rev too cleanly, and when started it hunts a fair bit on idle. Also sometimes if you go past 3k revs then let off the throttle the revs drop right down and the car almost cuts out before the revs come back up to around 1000rpm....

Any ideas?

Both fine, were the first things I checked, although the car ran fine without the microswitch plugged in (connector was missing when I bought the car)

To be honest i have been having problems with my KR hunting while cold, badly pulling away from juntions and now it is backfiring this now.

I have changed

Injectors

Fuel pumps, both pumps

WUR

Coldstart injector

Dizzy cap, rotor arm

Spark plugs

Cleaned fuel tank

Changed fuel filter

Set up ignition timing

Checked engine timing

Checked wiring, (they were some slightly broken wires) so all repaired with new plugs.

I have checked all three senders on the end of the block, one of them is new.

I tried a second hand auxillary air valve

I have tried numerous things and today I have booked it into a garage. I have decided I am not getting anywhere, so hopefully they will.

Let me know how you get on

Found the problem! Where the AA man had had the bonnet up in the rain the otherday I think some water had got into the electrics. Took the dizzy off and cleaned it all out and its been fine since, touchwood!