Sign in to follow this  
jmk

Faulty air-con; any ideas?

For the past several months I’ve owned a 95 Storm which had Diavia air-con fitted shortly after it was new. It seemed to work fine last year and was fully charged when I bought it. However recently it’s been giving me trouble.

It seems to turn on okay – I can hear the compressor activate and the engine revs drop slightly. However after perhaps 30 seconds it seems to turn itself off (the switch is still depressed). If I try and switch it on again nothing happens, but if I leave if for a few minutes it will come back on, but it only lasts for 30 seconds or so.

I had a new alternator fitted last autumn. Do you think that perhaps it’s not producing enough charge and that’s why it’s turning itself off? Anyone else experienced a similar problem. Thanks. :?

I would suggest you have it serviced/refilled and use an ultraviolet die in the oil so you can find the leak after you use it.

wait a minute if its shutting off after it already works then its an over pressurizing problem. Either way I'd try to find somebody that knows a/c systems well and maybe even the shop that installed it way back when if you have the info.

Thanks. It doesn't leak just turns off after a while. I'll try and research the pressure issue as you suggest.

Might be as simple as a faulty relay.

That's what is up with mine at the moment.

You do know the kompressor isn't ment to run all the time, it should go on and off,

BTW Air con should be used all year round if its fitted, otherwise its known to muck up. Aircon works well on heat and cold