Kev_VR6

Alternator Question

Hi everyone!

My alternator seems to have packed in on my VR over Christmas :rolleyes:

I've been offered a brand new Bosch one off a mate but it is the 90a one where mine was only the 70a one before...

Is there any harm going to be caused if I use the 90a one instead? Can't see why there would be tbh but best to check before I hand over the money...

Thanks,

Kev

You don't really want to push a 70 amp alternator +ve feed cable to the battery at 120amps. The cable will need to be uprated to keep it cool. 90 amp is borderline but should be OK as long as there are no high wattage accessaories fitted. The battery will still draw what it can just after engine start but this is short term so heat build up is not a major issue unlike running some current draining case.

One such case is cabin fan on 4, wipers going, engine rad fan on & headlights on continuously. Now that could cause the 70 amp wire to get warm on a wet night due to current drawn.

You will find the cable is uprated on the later VR6 to cope with higher current alternators.

70amp = 357 971 349K

90/120amp = 357 971 349Q

Thanks for the responses guys, especially Chris...that's one seriously thorough answer mate!

I'm only out in it in the warm, dry weather so barely even need my lights on, and I'm running the lightweight Revotec fans so hopefully it should never overheat.

Thanks for the info