gary dw

vr6 6 branch stainless wrapping and fiiting

hi all. recently found myself a 2nd hand stainless manifold. have got myself some heat wrap and some dei silicone sealer. any tips for application? never done it before. i plan to port it slightly as the brackets slightly restrick the new bigger pipes. also tips on fitting the manifold when its all done. we have a 4 poster ramp at work so getting under the car is not a problem. fitted 1 once to honda civic vti but that was on the front of the engine with plenty of room to play with. thanks

i took the whole inlet manifold off and everything to get to the top bolts. loads easier for you to get underneath with a lift! tighten them from middle to outside and replace the gasket. Mine is still blowing slightly from the manifold even with a VW Gasket so im thinking of undoing it and putting some gasket paper on the manifold side incase the manifold flat piece isnt perfectly flat.

thanks, yea does look very tight in there. goin with the genuine gaskets as my mill auto are useless and cant get me both gaskets. will add pics as i go along i exppect :bonk:

what width wrap are you using? You'll need to over lap by about half the width of the wrap. Also did you buy any of the metal cable ties as you will need them. They're expensive so i used some copper wire that i cut to length and twisted tight.

i used 25mm to start with on the branches, then went onto the 50mm on the rest. wish i had stuck with 50mm all the way but it takes alot more of it than you think!

do you have any pics of you finished item. not really sure of were to start or how to finish. were the pipes joinis and continueing down with proper coverage is a concern for me

I used the 1inch wide and im glad i did. You'll need more than 13 meters i bought a 50 meter pack and used a good half of that inc cut offs and that was with the 1inch wide wrap - though i did do it whilst it was on the car.

You're best off starting from the top, do each branch down to where they meet then start with a fresh cut down to the next junction. Bit of a tip, have a bucket of water to hand, dip the wrap in the water to wet it, then wrap around the manifold. It help stops the little fibres getting onto your skin and air - it doe irritate. Latex gloves too would be a good idea.

It also helps keep the wrap tight as when it dries it will tighten a little.

thanks probaly similar to how il do mine. hoping to have a go today but still waiting for heat wrap. :bonk: taken a pic after giving it a little clean off

IMG-20120202-00172.jpg

well 13.5 meters later and i need to order more. didnt find it that bad. has taken 2 hours so far. is a tedious job but once you get into the swinge of it, it falls into place nicely. thanks again for another evenings work trevr6adict

Cornwall-20120207-00188.jpg