jaydub

Corrado exhaust... please helpppp

So... i went and bought an exhaust system for my 1.8 16v rado, but the system was off a g60, thinking it was the same, put it up on the ramp yesterday and the downpipe connection was completely different.. if you see the first picture below, the first downpipe is the 1.8 16v one which bolts on to the manifold and has a cat connected to it.. but the exhaust system i have has 3 bolts which bolts on to the downpipe at the bottom end, and the other 2 pictures show the downpipe of a 2.0 16v abf rado, if i buy that downpipe, is is the same angle and fitment as the 1.8 16v kr one as it has the 3 bolt fitment which is the same as my exhaust?

KGrHqFi0E6IUU6Y6jBOpuvcQ60_1.jpg

KGrHqNnkE63UfTzBO8E1LUBsg60_12.jpg

KGrHqZHJCcE63YFJLmEBO388JdKJg60_1.jpg

any help would be much appreciated..

top pic is not a CAT it's simply the first silencer for a 1.8 non catalysed 16v, same as mk2 golf

all the other later systems have a shorter downpipe and a 3 bolt fixing to a CAT, you need a cat bypass pipe if not fitting a cat to the car to use that style of downpipe

cheers for the reply... ive got a cat bypass pipe.. but i wanted to know if the downpipe is the same fitment at the top where it has 6 bolts that bolt onto the manifold and if it is the same angle as the one for the 1.8. so would the 2.0 downpipe in the picture fit?

yep, all have identical fitment, this includes all 8V engines too, 1.8 and 2L, so a corrado 2.0L 8v downpipe for instance also has the same twin downpipe fitting to the cast iron exhaust manifold.

Not sure if tall block engines, like the 2.0 16v ABF from the mk3 GTI, have a longer manifiold or downpipe, 10 or 15mm to make up for the increased block height, shouldn't be a problem to use either on a corrado, but may cause fouling if you used corrado exhaust bits with an ABF engine.

Edited by davidwort

look at my sig above :) yep, in 94 and 95 they made a few hundred 2L 8v's with 2E and ADY engines from the passat.

Oh, and the corrado never had ABF engine, only the short block 9A 2.0 16v, basically a bored out 1.8 16v.

Edited by davidwort