dawnforse

Corrado handbrake tightening/ loosening

(1990 16v non ABS) Failed an MOT on the nearside rear handbrake mechanism. Had restricted free movement.

When I checked it wasn't stopping the wheel at all.

Took it off, cleaned it and it seemed to free up. When I put it back together it clamps on like a vice but when the handbrake is off the mechanism doesn't travel back to it's starting position. Drives ok but does feel like the brake is partly on. The spring seems fine and it is freer than before but with a pair of pliers I can move the mechanism further back to it's original positin.

Is there any way to fine tune the caliper?

My car knowledge is basically zero, (I just have a set of spanners and guesswork on my side) so any help in laymans terms would be great.

You can free up the handbrake mech by dumping some penetrating oil / plus gas down the shaft that the mech turns on, and then covering it all up with grease after to keep it lubricated.

Last summer both my rears used to bind on at junctions which led to literally dragging the wheels. 5 mins wfor a liberal soaking with plusgas and then some lithium grease and they have been fine for about 8 months.