Portent

Putting the cat back onto the car

I'm putting the cat back into the car. When I bought it it was decatted but the previous owner also supplied a cat. How simple a job is it to do it myself (complete novice) or is it a cheap job and I'm better off just getting a local place to put it on?

Just a few bolts... And a good hammer. Let me know If you want ill help you. And if you dont need the decat pipe........... You know hehehe

Thanks for the offer of help, it's much appreciated. I think I will take a look first if it's that simple (I surprised myself last week and managed to do the aux belt which is something I would never have considered in the past). I'm not sure yet what I'm doing with the decat. I will probably keep it for a bit in case I'm tempted to put it back on after the MOT. But if not then I'll let you know :)

Id stick it back on after mot mate as id imagine the remap will have taken it into account...

I took a look at this today and it's not quite as simple as I'd hoped. The cat that was supplied with the car (wasn't fitted) is a lot longer than the decat pipe. So it's not just a swap that's needed.

Front view:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58757[/ATTACH]

Rear view:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58761[/ATTACH]

Decat pipe is longer than supplied cat:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58765[/ATTACH]

I'm assuming that the cat was the original cat from the car before the previous owner put on the new Milltek with only a decat pipe. So what are my best options? If I get someone to fit the cat back on then I'd need them to make up a pipe from the cat through to the back box.

Would a Milltek sports cat just bolt on? These seem quite expensive (a quick google shows around £300+)

Any thoughts appreciated. I just need to get through the MOT in a few weeks :)

(and unfortunately I don't know any friendly MOT stations).

Also... in the top pic is the big hexagonal nut on the exhaust where the lambda should go? I see it's not there. How will this affect emissions and if I add one back on with the cat then what will that do to the running of the car?

I'm liekly to just take it to somewhere like AMD in Woking near me and ask them to do the work and get it through the MOT. But I'd like an idea of options first. Thanks.

Edited by Portent