Sign in to follow this  
fry

bone idle

Tried to start the car the other day only to find that it would conk straight out after it started. So... I called the AA (I have home start - own an air cooled too !!) He said it could be the distributor - so.. we took it off and it was pretty shagged lots of broken bits inside. Next day I went and bought a new dizzy. With the new dizzy fitted I thought the car would burst back to life and I could get on with my plans... No. The car will not idle from start, I got it warm by keeping it at 2000rpm for a while and it would chug away at 500rpm, but if i gave it some gas it would stall on over-run. I am well confused and a bit pissed off any ideas people - ???

cheers

fry............

gutted for ya mate :cry:

wish i could help, but unfortunately i know pretty much bugger all past changing the oil, spark plugs & brake pads!!

did u change the rotor arm as well when u done the dizzy?

my old C suffered a similar problem to yours, but it seemed to cure itself! spooky!

but the garage that looked at it said they thought it was a vacumn problem - maybe something similar on yours - just a thought

hope u get it sorted matey :D

You could have an air leak, check to pipework from the metering unit to the the throttle body and the pipe that goes to the ISV (this applies to the 16V, not sure about the other models. If the pipe comes off the ISV it wont idle. Check the small vacuum piepes too, hope you get it sorted I had idle problems a while back and it was a pain!, turned out to be the ISV valve itself.

I just had a look through the Problems forum and there is a post called "help corrado doesn't want to idle, in there near the bottom someone has kindly placed a picture which shows the isv and pipework, also there are some more suggestions as to the cause. The clip they refer to is actually a tool for removing the plug leads, very handy, i ran over mine last week, I didn't fit it back on after I changed the plugs :(

yup that was my car that didnt idle - not fixed it yet as the gearbox imploded so the cars on holiday at the mo ;)

When i get it back ill keep you all posted with regard to the stalling problem! ;)

Dave