tman2714

1.8 16v Power Increase

Hi all,

I'm looking to get some more power (aceleration mainly) from my valver.

In the service history (2003) there is a dyno test from Stealth giving a read out of 149bhp but no record of the mods that may have been carried out. I've contacted Stealth and am going to send over the details to see if they can shed anymore light on the subject.

Whilst on the phone I asked about what I can do to get more power and the guy on the phone said the gains would be pretty minimal for a lot of money.

Any advise?

find a 2L bottom end or a mk3 16v block and head for it, that's about the best bang for the buck and fairly simple to bolt in and run, just need an hour on a rolling road to set it up afterwards.

Thanks David. Just to be a complete noob. What exactly is a 2 litre bottom end? I take it that is not a complete ebgine swap, just part of it?

just the engine block (main lump with crank, rods and pistons) not includig the cylinder head (the 1.8 head can go straight onto a 2L block).

sometimes the block or 'base engine' is also called a 'short engine'

most aftermarket cams, exhausts, air filters etc. do little or nothing for the 16v engine, I'd always suggest increasing the 1.8 to 2L and then looking at gas-flowing the cylinder head for a little more top end power.

have a read of the 16v tuning sections on the club gti forum, everything you need to know on there :)

Thanks for all this great info. Not been on the club gti forum yet but I've just had a quick look now. Looks like all the information I want is there.

Thanks again!