somersetdub

Steering Column Mod - Quick, Effective and Cheap!

This is great idea, I did it quite a while back and been bang on.

Only difference I did was using bolt threaded all the way and 3 sets of nuts and washers, so your clamping it both ways if ya know what I mean, that way it's more solid again, and infinitely adjustable, that adjustment does require removing cowling nd getting ya spanners out, but how many people drive your Corrado anyway, would'nt let my wife near mine, we've got another 2 cars she's welcome to use.

You can adjust it on the notches and clamp it down, or adjust between the notches and clamp it.

I'm halfway there doing this along with loads of jobs on the interior. Shopping list for tomorrow includes an m6 X 80 :) thought I had a bolt long enough but sadly no :(

Just joined and saw this topic and it all makes sense to me. I will explain. Used to have a 1990 G60 Canadian specs fully loaded, a/c, sunroof etc from new and for a full 10 years before parting with it for a family car for obvious reasons. Now that the kids are older I went back getting a 1989 G60 a couple of months ago, excellent chassis no damage at all, the previous owener did a mild restoration stripping the car repainting it(not the original white but I guess to his liking Bordeux), rebuilt engine and upgraded supercharger pulley, with sunroof but without A/C and along the way I noticed that there were no power locks nor adjustable steering column.I thought because it was a very early model (chassis no 9399) it might have been this way from factory. In place of the usual Corrado steering wheel it was a Polo G40 steering wheel which I found odd but due to its smaller size and better looks I decided to keep it and not go for an original one. Steering is still power assisted but requires a bit more effort (could be partially because of the smaller size of the G40 steering wheel) in comparison to my previous 1990 G60 but its more precise and spot on.

I thought something wrong might have went through the years with the adjustable steering and they had to replace it with a fixed one and that kind of sat not so nice at the back of my mind, although the car had no issues at all with its steering and braking. Now I'm happy to see that this scenario exists as a mode to solve issues with the adjustable steering on the Corrados. In any way I'm happy with the way the car behaves and the feel of its steering. Ofcourse I don't know if ever there were Corrados without adjustable steering column and mine was one of them, I only guess if that was the case it could have been on very early models. Nice of you guys to have touched this issue and answer my worries.

The cowl seems quite new, no scratches, no wear, but this could also have been because due to the somewhat restoration a few things have been replaced with new ones.

However, since there is also no power locks I have the feeling that fixed steering was also a part of an early model edition to keep the cost low.

Unless ofcourse the power locks along the adjustable steering went out the window due to wear and tear along the 27 years of the car's existance.

Guees I will never know as I cannot locate the car's specs through its vin no.