Henny

Windscreen wanted

I'm in need of a windscreen for my 'rado as mine's chipped and I don't think it'll go back in once I've removed it to sort out some tin-worm along the front edge of the roof... :(

Seeing as it's not been on the road for over 5 years now, there's no way I can get one through the insurance! I've got the tools to remove a windscreen from a car that's going for scrap, but just need to find a reasonable condition screen in a car that's being scrapped...

However, there are two conditions....

1) It must be CHEAP! I'm not being tight, but given that I can get a new windscreen for under £150, if it's a second hand one (that I'll be removing!) I don't really wanting to be paying much for it! I know most people scrap the screen with the shell (I did with the two I've scrapped over the years) as they're not something most people take out, so you'd be getting some money for something you'd normally be throwing away! ;)

2) It must be within a 45ish mile radius of CW12 1SB (Congleton) 'cos I'm also time-poor these days due to the recent arrival of our first baby (also part of the reason it must be cheap! ;) )

I'm also in no rush to get this done, and can probably work around you in terms of coming and removing it... :)

So, what's anyone got? :)

Where can you get new windscreen for 150 quid, I've been quoted around 900 quid by Autoglas to fit new one.

I'm a windscreen fitter for National Mobile Windsreens and can tell you that the Corrado is one of the nastiest jobs out there and unless your very, very careful you'll struggle to remove one without cracking it so used screens are a rarity.

Saying that though Im soon to respray my C and will be fitting a new one so if we get my old one out unscathed you can have it cheap (one small chip repair).

Alternatively we can fit a new one all in for £200 plus vat minus new trims which would prob be around an extra £60.

Regards Ed

^^ might be interested in a new fitted windscreen from your guys Ed. Do you also source the trims?

We can probably source them depending on whether they're available aftermarket or from VW, they weren't showing on the system when I looked but I'm sure they wouldn't be a issue to find if I made some calls.

That is of course if they're needed, just depends whether the old ones come out ok. We can order them for the job and if they're not needed we just send back to the distributer.

Edited by Ed21

Thanks. I will probably get it done soon. Nothing majorly wrong with it but it is showing it's age and it's one of the items I want to get around to. I'm fairly sure the trims are.obsolete at vw now. But I'm hoping they can still be got from somewhere else.

Where can you get new windscreen for 150 quid, I've been quoted around 900 quid by Autoglas to fit new one.

A mate works for a windscreen company, he said he can get me one at cost price + a few beers...

I'm a windscreen fitter for National Mobile Windsreens and can tell you that the Corrado is one of the nastiest jobs out there and unless your very, very careful you'll struggle to remove one without cracking it so used screens are a rarity.

Saying that though Im soon to respray my C and will be fitting a new one so if we get my old one out unscathed you can have it cheap (one small chip repair).

Alternatively we can fit a new one all in for £200 plus vat minus new trims which would prob be around an extra £60.

Regards Ed

Cheers Ed21, I'd heard they were a bit of a pig to do, and having seen the state of the area around the windscreen on my C, that's why I'm after a spare 'cos I'm not confident mine'll come out in one piece due to the amount of sealant/gluethey've squirted in all directions... not to mention the damage to the paint behind the seal, which is how the tin-worms have gotten in... :(

I've done a few in the past on other cars (admittedly, never on a 'rado) so I'm reasonably confident in doing it, and I reckon that having lots of time (and no pressure having anybody breathing down my neck wanting to have their car back!) I should be able to get one out intact and then get it sealed nicely into my 'rado once I've sorted out the tin-worm... :)

I can see your confident in your fitting ability so please don't take offence to me adding my two cents but this is how I'd do it: Wire it out using diamond filament wire (side to side), don't try Kent knifing it top and sides as your very likely to crack it even if you use a serated blade, best of luck mate.

Ed 21 can you let me know where I can get a new screen for 200 quid. I'm not sure where to look.