Bloodrubber

First V dub

Whats up Corrado world. I have had many cars in my time but this is my first VW. I have always wanted a Corrado, and was lucky enough to find 91 vr6 to call my own. It isnt running rite now and was looking for a little advice. It cranks over and has good fuel pressure but no spark. The coil is good and there is power going to the distributor but no beuno after that. Any ideas? Could it be a fried ecu, or bad hall sensor? The idiot who owned it before me said he was just driving and the engine cut out, thats why he sold it to me cheap. He also thought that by over filling the oil by about 3 quarts it would help, why I dont know. But I drained it and put fresh oil in. Thanks for any help.

Welcome to the forum. I can't help with the technical issue but many on here can so hopefully someone more knowledgeable till be along shortly. But VW didn't make VR6 in 91 so if you've got the year correct then it has had an engine swap at some point.

Hey thanks, and crap, sorry its a 92, my bad. Its pretty stock, the only mods to it our 17'' jetta wheels and H&R springs.

---------- Post added at 2:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 1:59 AM ----------

Noticed you upgraded your cams, did you notice good power gains? I was thinking about going turbo, but if I could get 250hp with an N/A VR6 I might take that route. Like I said, I'm new to VW, but if this possible with a 2.8 VR6 for lets say, under $1800 bucks I'm all ears.

welcome to forum plenty of helpfull dudes on here to help you out:cheers:

That's still a bit strange as I thought the first VR's were in 93. But it may be different for different countries of course (e.g. ours are 2.9 rather than 2.8).

It's hard to comment on the difference that cams make because the car had them when I bought it so I didn't get a chance to feel the difference. But it does feel more "urgent" than other cars I remember test driving. The previous owner got them done at the same time as the chains and tensioners were replaced so it made sense. But I don't think it will get anywhere near 250bhp. Our 2.9's start at 192bhp and with the cams, remap and exhaust I would think it's probably getting somewhere around 205bhp to 210bhp. But that's just a complete guess as it hasn't been on a rolling road in my ownership. Even if it's less then I wouldn't be unhappy as the car isn't all about speed for me.

Getting 250bhp from a 2.8 NA (which has 174bhp doesn't it?) will be quite difficult and very, very expensive. If you're looking for power then forced induction is the way to go (either supercharging or turbocharging).