paul yeo

MOT fail today need some help

took the corrado in for a mot today and sadly it failed on a few bits and pieces. basically im a bosch air mass meter that fits on top of the air box on the 2.0 16v 9n engine, anybody help? also the offside rear caliper is a little knackered so was wondering if anybody had one kicking around or knows if any other calipers fit i.e golf calipers? be great if anyone can help so i can get the old girl back on the road asap. thanks

What exactly did they fail the car on mate, and why did they lead you to suggest that the metering head needed replacing? I've rarely ever heard of a faulty one on a 16v and usually it's something else causing the problems but a few places that aren't too good on old-school engines tend to blame them!

Rear calipers are used on MK2 Golfs of the same era so should be plentiful in breakers or on eBay, etc. If you have the funds available it might be a good time to look into a set of MK4 Golf rear calipers though which you'll also need a set of conversion hoses for!

car failed on emissions high, front wipers not cleaning, nearside trackrod end, offside rear caliper and exhaust clamps. garage adivised me on the meter as it was running very rich on idle and a little lumpy. tried to adjust it on the meter itself but some muppet has broke the little screw head inside so was advised to get a new one. new to these 16v engines so unsure?! always had 8v and vr6 golfs.

I'm really surprised they simply suggested the metering head was faulty. I think the days of a garage doing proper setup work and tuning is long gone - and now it's "it's broken, replace it" attitude everywhere! :)

Where are you based mate? The 9A is apparently a bit of a sod to set up properly, but I can highly recommend DG Autotech in Kidderminster as they know these engines well and can setup a 16v properly. You might find that the metering head is fine and just needs some other adjustment and I'm sure the screw in the metering head can be replaced no problems. There might also be other factors at work, such as the temperature sensor for the ECU not working properly and thus making the car run rich, or even the timing might be out a little bit.

Most of those other jobs are cheap as chips so shouldn't be a bank buster getting the car back on the road!

im from a little village in cornwall called porthleven. i was told to take the meter head off and they will try and replace the screw inside and see if they can adjust it to see if that helps. the garage i take it to is a friend of mines so i know he isnt trying to get loads of cash out of me ha ha according to the last owner the engine has been cammed. no proof of this other than a rolling road print out showing 147 bhp. standard models are 136? not sure if being cammed makes a difference to running rich / lumpy?

Hm - you're a bit far away then. There is a garage based down that way though, the name of who escapes me - Walesy is based in Cornwall and would remember the name. Think they know Corrado's pretty well!

It most likely has the KR cam fitted but I don't believe this should affect the emissions - my 2.0 16v had the same cams and always went through the MOT emissions test without too much trouble! Good luck getting it sorted.. I really don't think you will need to replace the metering head though :)

There are several on eBay if you do end up needing to go down that route though..

price please mate? with delivery?

---------- Post added at 6:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:47 PM ----------

thanks for your help jim, will hopefully weather permitting start doing the work the old girl needs for the mot this weekend. its now off the road sorn until i get my ass into gear so best make a start soon!

I'm really surprised they simply suggested the metering head was faulty. I think the days of a garage doing proper setup work and tuning is long gone - and now it's "it's broken, replace it" attitude everywhere! :)

Where are you based mate? The 9A is apparently a bit of a sod to set up properly, but I can highly recommend DG Autotech in Kidderminster as they know these engines well and can setup a 16v properly. You might find that the metering head is fine and just needs some other adjustment and I'm sure the screw in the metering head can be replaced no problems. There might also be other factors at work, such as the temperature sensor for the ECU not working properly and thus making the car run rich, or even the timing might be out a little bit.

Most of those other jobs are cheap as chips so shouldn't be a bank buster getting the car back on the road!

9as arent hard to set up, ive set mine up several times after various modifications, id recommend adjusting the mixture using the milli-ampage of the EHA/differential pressure regulator.

Hi,i have a pair of calipers in good condition & a 9a metering head,

let me know thanks rod