Dodger

why would you removed the o2 sensor?

So there is a strange mounted plug on the aft motor mount that the o2 harness is plugged into. It basically grounds out one wire and the other three go no further than the plug. The o2 sensor is not there! I dont' know why it would have been removed? So I ordered one today as well as four new fuel injectors. Any idea why it would be removed? It appears to be a kit to do just that?

Dodger

Yesterday was productive, I put the car up on Jack stands and removed the entire exhaust. After consulting the manual, turns out the 02 sensor is normally mounted in the catalytic converter (which for some strange reason is not there). Hopefully I can get off early today or tomorrow to have a new system built from the local exhaust shop. Keep you posted,

Dodger

Yeah, you beat me to it. A lot of decat systems just have a plug/socket to fool the system into not realising the 02 sensor is missing. I have a decat pipe for my VR (not fitted though) and that seems to have the hole to screw the 02 sensor in still.

I can understand removal of the "restrictive" cat, but the 02 sensor is part of the fuel injection system!

It is something to do with the the sensor reading incorrectly due to the cat being missing. A closed loop system needs the pre and post cat sensors to know what is going on with the emmisions (i.e. to know the cat has reduced the emmisions) so the post cat sensor will throw a fault code. The way round it is to remove the sensor, and plug something in to pretend it is the sensor.

Well mine car does not call for a post cat sensor. Just one sensor on the inlet flange of the cat. Right now there is no O2 sensor!

Pumps more fuel in as there isn't a signal to judge what should be there, people tend to do it when they start getting more power out the block to avoid leaning out at the top end.

Wouldn't be concerned unless you're having running issues.

Lambda signal's normally disregarded at high revs/wide-open throttle, so that argument doesn't work. It's there to manage the mixture at idle and also at part-throttle cruising.

Get a lambda back in there - it'll make it run smoother and use less fuel.