V33DUB

8v Bites The Dust - Ali Knockout Punch!

Sorry to hear about the hassle. £1700 + £300 scrap value doesn't sound too bad. I think you should certainly consider getting estimates for a repair. Look at KIP's repair and he has got the car to a state he wouldn't have been able to achieve without the payout.

My insurance renewal is due this year and I think I'll certainly consider an agreed valuation now.

Yeah, had an agreed value for 4k though so that helped a lot. as Supercharged say's it's getting more important to have agreed value.

The car sounds repairable without any major work, so I think the decision depends on what the car means to you. If the car is your reliable daily and you don't really want to do much work to it other than the repair, then I would say keep and repair. On the other hand, if you see yourself spending lots of money on the car in the next few years - either modifying it or getting it perfect - then break it and get another, as you'll always have a nagging feeling that spending money on a Cat C is pouring money into a black hole (quite similar to most Corrados actually!). Bear in mind that 8vs aren't all that common any more.

For liability, your accident was very similar to mine (replace Ali the taxi driver, with a pizza delivery driver who was in a hire car because he crashed his car earlier that week) and the other party was ruled to have full liability, despite a couple of mystery 'witnesses' that the 3rd patry found really late on. There were a couple of things in my favour though - first he was turning right out of a junction where there was no right turn, and second my passenger (and witness) happened to be an accident claims lawyer. It still put my insurance up quite a bit to the point where insuring a modified VR as a daily was prohibitive, but I'm now getting £400 a year quotes on the MK2 for 10000 miles a year, 2 years after the accident.

Well it looks like I may be leaving the corrado world for some time!

Until blame has been established (which could take up to 2 months apparently) I lose my no claims and my excess and with 2 years driving and no NCD my insurance has rocketed through the roof. A 1.0l Corsa is now coming out at the same price I was paying on the 8v with 2NCD :(

If my insurers legal team can't pin blame on the third party then it's likely to be bye bye corrado for the next few years.

I have to say though, I just love the feeling of being screwed for something that wasn't your fault!

Screwed. Had the same 20 years ago with a red light runner smashing up the front of my new Scirocco. Was spun round to face where I came from. No witnesses as it was New Years Day. Trapped in my car.

Then round the corner down the road from where I had driven from, a poxy Nova arrived. Guy gets out, asks if I am alright, I say No! but he walks away. Then he has a long chat with the other driver, and then procceeds to help the other driver destroy the accident scene on a totally empty road. So no position notes or photgraphs can be taken. The irony of it is I had £3k of video and stills cameras in the boot going to a venue.

Finally out of my Scirocco and I am accused by this person who was not present of driving through a red light. Insurance used him as a witness, signed ......... Fireman.

The 3rd party even tried to claim for a big food shop of £150. My insurance were paying out until I referred them back to the photographs provided to them. The camera never lies as I had zapped a film through of everything. No shopping in the boot or car back seat. Even then they wouldn't believe my side and the false witness because of it being signed by a Fireman.

So I understand and its only time that will heal. I paid in loaded premiums for 3 years and lost £2k in the true value of the car in that incident.

With the Mini DVD matured and cheap enough for a decent image, it is why I now have the SmartCam on the dash. And as of tomorrow, a rear looking one will be fitted to the rear parcel shelf. Could have done with it last night as someone behind was determined I going through amber/red, I was stopping (normally), he wasn't, and went side ways but fortunately missed me. The events that happen round here are getting to crazy levels.

Edited by RW1