m4ttj4mes

16v (KR) cam bearing cap studs and nuts... kaput

hey all,

bringer of bad news ive been reassembling my head on the car and once the cam caps were back on (in sequence) i attempted at torquing them up (11lb/ft). it would appear that quite a few of them are no sticking this setting and giving way and stripping the threads out of the nuts and some of the studs - cant believe it! possible causes are over-tightening before hand or age?? absolutly gutted as i was really hoping to get the head finished today and rocker cover on etc... but it looks like im going to have to replace the studs....

doing a quick search brought up a very old post which gave the p/no - 030 103 397A (M7x45) is this still correct - has anyone else had to replace theirs before? it also suggested a full set was around the £55+/- mark; just for the studs too :sad:

any help would be muchly appreciated!!! also are these likely to come out easy enough? the old studs that is...

matt

really surprised they've stripped on the cam caps, on the exhaust maybe but never had it on the caps before. tbh i've never used a torque wrench on cam caps either, prefer to do it by feel.

no idea on part number but they're a couple of quid each from what i recall for exhaust ones, to remove you can double nut them.

Did you give time for the cam to settle on the lifters first before torqueage?

Is the wrench good and not working right at the bottom of it's scale?

hey guys, ta for the advice but ive got an update...

not only are the cam cap studs knackered as well as some of the nuts, but i went to torque up my manifold nuts today too - sheared off one of the studs (new studs, new nuts, new manifold + gasket AND reconned head!) cant @#~?ing believe it! sound the like the torque wrench is no good? believe the manifold studs to be 18lb/ft, the wrench is a friends and is literally brand new although it is a mother of a torque wrench but if it says you can set it as low as 10lb/ft then surley you can? i dont understand whats happening?!?! :bonk:

genuinly peeved off (and it takes a lot!) but jesus christ! ive got a spare head built up i nthe garage (the one i removed) think its worth checking out those cam cap studs and nuts and swapping them over??

'aide' - yeah i used the double nut thing to put the studs in and to remove one that stretched (exhaust ones) but havent attempted removing the cam cap ones yet, no one know of anywhere to get new ones? had a friend at Honda get a quote for me and apparantly it was around £3 EACH, and they are in germany and would be 10 days!! AND the nuts were 44p EACH too!

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!

:mad:

i remember getting the studs new from vw, good few years ago though. be cheaper buying another 2nd hand head off the bay and stripping it maybe.

as for torque wrenches if its a cheapy/ old maybe its way off, but for anything under 50nm i'd use a small one not a big one that can measure small.

yeah getting a few quotes today for a new set as it would obviously be better but as said i have a spare head which i could knick them out of worst come to worst... ta for the help guys!

ended up biting the bullet and ordered a complete set of studs and nuts for the cam bearing caps and another exhaust stud set too.... sad to say for a package that wont be bigger than a bag of sugar it hit the triple figure mark :roll: didnt want to risk putting in my other used ones as might have had the same problem and thennot been able to getthe spare head back together again (for sale in case anyones intrested :norty:)

just got the 7-10day waiting period as there coming from germany! atleast ive got a whole load of other pieces to be getting on with...