emu

Lack of reverse light NOT a MOT failure

Was very surprised when my daily golf passed MOT today without reverse light working. Tester definitely asked other guy to put in reverse and check the light and didn't say anything when they didn't light up. It's not even pointed in advisory. Was standing beside him but didn't ask him about it was scared he will fail a car. Maybe he didn't notice.

I only knew this because of my all red rears, my reverse lights look more like brake lights but still pass :)

I did once hear that a broken reverse light is not an MOT failure, the lights original purpose was to show you the way when reversing rather than warn others that you were reversing, therefore it is not necessary to have a working one to pass

dunno if anyone can back me up on that?

The check they did was probably just to make sure it didn't put any other lights on when selected (like with bad earths etc). Not part of the test for it to light up as far as I know, other than it shouldn't be on when reverse is not selected, then it would fail for white light (as per indicators etc failing for white light showing from rear lights)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk