Rado89

G60 idle and spluttering problems :(

Hello everyone.

Last night I started to have some trouble getting my g60 to idle properly. Idle seems unsettled an once It does settle sits at about 1200 rpm? When the engine is under load seems to splutter an mis-fire.

And help would be much appreceated.

Thanks Phil.

Hi Phil, usual suspects on a G60 with your symptoms are the vacuum pipes from the throttle body, one to the ECU & the other to the evaporative carbon filter valve. both are very small pipes off the back of the throttle body & prone to splitting/breaking at the throttle body end after years of hot/cold treatment. Also the very small pipe to from the inlet manifold to the fuel pressure valve has the same problem. If any of these are leaking then it will affect idle/running as you describe. Suggest you check those 1st if you havent already.

Mick

Hi mick, thanks. I have checked those an the seem fine. The VDO on the inlet seems to be chicking quite loudly every couple of seconds. I've check the connection to the VDO an all is clean an intact

Not sure what you mean by VDO ? do you mean ISV? but there are a couple more easy checks for this type of problem. Is the the idle screw still in place at the back of the throttle body? the sealing ring on the screw eventually disintegrates & the screw becomes loose & vibrates out & are the switches on the throttle body operating ok, they can get gunged up & sticky, there are 2, the idle switch & full throttle switch. With the engine off if you listen carefully you can hear the switches click at idle & full throttle.

If its the ISV clicking every couple of seconds then it sounds like an electrical problem. As you may have read on this forum the various earth connections around the G60 are important for correct running & can cause ECU problems & even failure if not good & clean. The main earth from the battery should go to a point on the body behind the battery & then on to the bell housing. There are 3 brown wires that earth on the coolant flange stud on the r/h side of the head & an earth strap from the throttle body to the coil fixing bolt on the bulkhead. All these earths should be clean & intact. Another point of problems is the wiring to the lambda probe/oxygen sensor by the rear engine mount down behind & to the left of the engine where wires break due to constant engine movement.

Hope you are able to sort this out without too much hassle, G60s are becoming rare beasts & are a superb drive when running well.

Mick

Yes I mean the ISV. The problem is all sorted now, I chaced back the loom an found two dodgy earths. Soldered in some fresh wire with new terminals and now all is fine again :) thanks for the help,

Phil