Human Joist

Anti roll bar bushes HELP

Need to order some new front anti roll bar bushes as mine have failed. I have a VR6 model. Any idea if that will be the 18mm or the 20mm width bar. I thought 20 but just wanted to check before the polly order goes in

Have you worked out how your gonna attack this ?

Fun will be the last thing you experience, its a long job just for two bushes, good luck mate.

Edited by daleyboy

Done mine but with subframe off car, found that pretty hard. Its getting the metal clip down over the bush thats a squeeze, and getting the bush in.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

With the subframe off its much easier thats how i did mine, but on the car will be horrible, fairy liquid might help.....

went to do mine yesterday , blady 13mm bolt { it holds the clip for the bush?} is rusted and rounded off, so need to weld a socket on or some thing, i had the axle stands on the flat sections of the sub frame so the front was in the air and used 2 jacks one either side of the car and jacked the body up and away from the subframe , think this method should work..

Right this is all done and as it turned out not much hastle. I put the car on stands on the chassis runners. The put a trolly jack under the centre of the subframe. Undid all 6 bolts that hold it to the car and dropped it down. Done like this there was still loads of movement in the subframe to allow you to push the subframe around from underneath to take the roll bar out. As it turns out the drop links also needed replacing. As a big tip for anyone attempting this get new clips for the bush as the two that held the bushes on mine were rusty and half the thickness as new ones. So I put car back together and got these from vw for £10 then took it off again yesterday. When it comes to pulling the new clip down on top of the bush to screw it in 3corsameal was right its a bugger. In the end I put a braker bar a cross the top of the clip and then jacked the subframe up to the car thus squashing the braker bar between subframe and chassis which pushed the clip home so t was nice and easy to screw up. This method also allows you to wiggle the bar to get the holes lined up. Works a treat.

Edited by Human Joist

Nice one. My next issue is i can't get a spanner in to tighten up the hoses on steering rack now, have put everything back together and can only just get my fingers in there.

It is possible to lay under the car and do the hose's up to the steering rack. Its slow..... very slow. You can only get 1/8th of a turn at a time and you have to keep turning the spanner round.

I made this mistake the other week, granted I didn't have the engine in, but I wan't going to take the bloody subframe out for a third time after I'd torqued everything up.

I feared it would be a slow job :(

Looking at it now i could of removed the hoses from car and attached them to the rack, then lifted rack, subframe and the hoses in at once, I'd already undo the other ends anyway. Oh well.