robo22sri

Coolant hose exploding!

Guys i need some help, my top hose on the vr6 decided to let go and explode :(

The car had only just got up to temp but i lost probably 70% of the water out of it!

I filled it up with water and drove it home and all was fine!

I drove the car yesterday and is now miss firing :(

The car has had new plugs and leads! could the water have runied the coil pack? or is it head gasket failure?

Get some damp start stuff and spray the inside of the HT Caps - Coilpack side and spark plug side. Also check out the electrical connection to the coilpack.

I'd confidently say that when the water came out with force from the top pipe it will have got water somewhere you dont want it. The top pipe isnt far from the coilpack.

Well the water was sprayed all up the bonnet and all over my BMC, best get pullng the bay apart

You won't always get a visible arc when the coilpack insulation has split. Mine suffered in the wet over the course of a few months and even when one of the three coils finally crapped out (lost two cylinders, sounded horrendous!) there was no visible arcing from the pack even when misted with water.

Your best bet is to remove it and inspect it closely - any cracks in the outer plastic show points where the insulation has failed internally and released the expanding foam they're filled with, which seals the gap but swells and cracks the case. If water's getting into the cracks then it will aggravate things and you may be able to save it with some epoxy, or you may not. Give it a go :)

Stone