jpowell79

Car not starting - oil light keeps flashing

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has an idea what might be wrong with my VR6.

I came out of B&Q last night, after having driven over 15 miles in the Corrado without issue. Anyway, got in the car, turned on the ignition, and it goes to start, but then decides to shut down the engine.

I noticed the oil light was flashing, so immediately thought it must be the oil....and to be fair it was below the limit (I am having to top it up about once every 2 months) so topped up the oil, waited 5 minutes, and gave it another try.

Same thing....turn on the ignition, and it sounds as thought its about to start, but then shuts itself down immediately......also rather stangely the oil light is still flashing?

Could it be some kind of sensor fault, telling the engine to shut down?

I know the oil was low, but I wouldn't think this would prevent it from starting, and also even though its topped up now, its still flashing, so maybe an oil sensor?

By now you can most likely already guess my knowledge under the bonnet is pretty limited!

Any suggestions? ....... maybe I'll have to get it towed to a garage to put it on a diagnostics machine?

sounds like your imob is buggered, common fault on VR6's. pretty sure oil light does flash until the engine has started so wouldnt worry about that.

sounds like your imob is buggered, common fault on VR6's. pretty sure oil light does flash until the engine has started so wouldnt worry about that.

cheers,

since you've said about the immobiliser I've been looking round a bit more and read a post that someone said to try and spray the transponder relay with WD40........where is the transponder relay?

Still not sure which one the transponder relay is.....anyhow someone told me it could be the fuel pump relay or the ECU relay, so have ordered one of each.

I can't see any reference to "transponder relay".....am I being really thick or is this the same as the ECU relay??

fusebox.jpg

Edited by jpowell79

turns out it was the cable behind the fuse box leading to fuse 15 - "electronic ignition" .....the mechanic gave it a wiggle and now it works!

Pity it took 3 hours to bloody diagnose it! - £150 ffs!