coullstar

Question for those that are breaking cars

Big ball ache, posting things is a pain.. You could sell 10 of one thing and some others never move (or rarely)..

Posting isn't too bad if you get a system going. Buy loads of bubble wrap and padded envelopes up front. Do a post office run twice a week. In bigger post offices they have automated parcel drops.

Bits left over tend to be pretty random, but usually things like interior trim hang around for a while. If you don't want the mess of removing the engine, sell the shell, engine, loom and drivetrain in one go as a conversion donor, after you've stripped the rest of the shell.

When I broke my written off Golf, I ended up with loads of parts left over, and struggled to sell them, so I offered them all as a job lot for about £70. The bits were probably worth more separately, but when you get to the dregs, you need to be lucky to find buyers who need the bits you're selling.

massive ballache, not easy money by any stretch, but can make a decent profit if you put the effort in.

personally i've thought about it loads and nearly bought a couple of cars for the purpose. you really need to have a large storage area and a clear 6 months to get everything gone. being proactive and taking advantage of ebay free listing weekends etc will help. The thing that puts me off is removing/packaging/sending the £5 items where you'll drive to the post office and queue for 15 minutes for a couple of quid.

You need to be really organised and prepared to put the time in. You can make a decent amount of money from it though. As already mentioned, you get left with quite a lot of stuff.

Best to get a spreadsheet going that tracks who has bought what, if they've paid, if it's been posted etc.

Not looking to do this intentionally but Im going to look at one as a wee project and just wondering if it all goes tits up how much hassle it would be to break. Pretty much what I thought.

you will manage to sell most parts locally, last VR I broke it was just the shell that went, all other parts I either kept for my own car as spares, and as long as you have space its not too hard, Silver 2.0 16v?

Hi

Having broke two corrados now (still doing the second) all of the above comments are correct, a lot of effort and time is needed,ie the post office run and

answering e-mails etc,you'll never make a massive amount of cash, but i look at it as a way to fund my own car,