Andy_Polo

Radiator Fan is really slow

Hi guys, the Corrado got a bit hot today sat in some traffic, the fan kicked in but it was really slow and it didnt cool the car at all.

Any idea what would cause the fan to run slow?

I should think the hamster needs replacing!

No seriously, try putting 12v across the fans independently from the controller, this will tell you if the fan motor is ok or not. If not it's probably the controller. I may have a spare if you need one.

First check if it spins freely - if it grinds round then the bearing will have died. Easiest way to test them is to unplug the plug from the radiator sender - bridging the red wire to the other two pins should give you speeds 1 and 2. If it doesn't then either your fan controller's dead or the fan is, and you can tell the two apart by directly applying 12V as Kip says.

Beware, if the fans seize completely, or the speed reduction resistors die, the motor may catch fire like mine did! OEM fans are £360 so probably better with the slim aftermarket ones you can get now.

This is for a vr6 by the way...not sure how much is common to other engines.

Stone

hi ya my names richie i had the same problem with my g60 (like to run hot) the solution i came up with was a 1.8 civic rad with a suburu fan and sum tinkering as i got front mount intercooler but my oil temps and water temps have dropped a lot and my g60 runs cool and likes it hope i helped suburu fan cost me £30 and his slim