8vMatt

Now Rado-less. Mk2 gti 16v to soften the blow!

Hi guys,

I've now let my Corrado go to a builder friend of mine in exchange for a load of work in the garden and a cash amount. We're both happy with the deal, I'm having all the posts and joists ready for a good size decking (I'm doing the design layout of boards), handrails, steps, paint the back of the house, new fascia, soffits and gutters.

I've loved having the car but used it less and less over the last year. Some of the reason for this was not enjoying the hassle of moving it and wondering where to park it without paint chips etc. I've had a few chips since the front end was painted and its annoying. I can just jump into the mk2 and not have any worries with it. Its the same with the new T5, I drive that without worries even though it cost shed loads, strange but the Rado stressed me!

So, I had to have a play thing to keep me entertained. I found this mk2 16v in North Devon. Its had a few young owners in the last 2-3 years and as a result of this, its nice and low but the general condition and maintenance has been lacking. In 2010, it sold for £2,600 but I was able to get it for £800. I'll have a go at improving things cheaply and revive it to former glories. The original 4 light grill will be back on asap and I'm picking up a set of bling BBS RM's next week to throw on.

Disclaimer- Thats not my sparrow legs! ( Hey Chris!)

2012-02-191619201.jpg

2012-08-291712261.jpg

2012-09-03191344.jpg

2012-09-03191520.jpg

That looks in supertb condition from the photos. Love the RM's although not madly keen on the pink. I still miss my old mk2 16v. Keeping the 2 lamp grille or reverting to 4? I need a mk2 in my life again.

800 quid, absolute bargain judging by the photos.. So long as all the very normal weak points on the Mk2 are ok then you are onto a winner..

Cheers guys. I don't know too much about the 16v's, I owned 8v's hence my username. What's the common issues to check for?

Haha, bloody pink! Their a deep red in real life.

Had a guy stop me in the street last night asking if could buy it. So that was a nice chufty! I said no as I've only driven it 3 times.

Looks very nice. I always really wanted a mk2 golf gti when I was younger, yet when I had the opportunity I ended up buying a Scirocco, then another, then the Corrado, and even temporarily had a mk2 golf gl - but never a gti!! Other than the performance, I suspect you'll not really miss the corrado much.

Glad to hear you're putting the 4 light grille back on - a mk2 gti HAS to have a 4 light grille!

I was going to ask where you found it so cheap, but I see your on the south coast - all the bargains seem to be down that way!

Cheers guys, nice response to the car. I've had 3 8v gti's but this is the first 16v for me. It's good fun to drive but not as quick as a VR understandably.

When I first saw the wheels, I never had any thoughts of buying them. Once I picked up the 16v, the red wheels sounded good against the black car. Gold bolts will prob devide opinions but hey, you don't see them on every modded car. I like the flashiness to them.

The guy holding the alloy up against the car for the pic ... does he shave his legs?

I think we need a Mk2 appreciation thread seeing as though quite a few of us on the forum have them (myself included).

The guy holding the alloy up against the car for the pic ... does he shave his legs?

I think we need a Mk2 appreciation thread seeing as though quite a few of us on the forum have them (myself included).

I think you could be right Tom, I'll ask Langers if he does shave or not. I had another look at your mk2 thread, very nice after the detail session. It looks so clean and dink free on the panels. You can see the extra cost compared to mine! Nice purchase mate.

And a mk2 Appreciation thread would be nice to have.

Cheers Matt. It's certainly not mint but it's a very decent base car for something well over 20 years old. I hate the term 'mint' as it rarely applies to any car but I'd like to think I could get it close.

Saying that £800 for yours is brilliant money. What mileage is on it and what colour - black? What spec are the RM's and how much ££?

You're right, £800 is awesome for the car. I think the lad almost cried when the deal was agreed! Its on 165k with a thick folder of receipts, he spent £903 on reciepts he gave since the beginning of the year. Its a Schwartz black, like it.

The RM's are a standard 6 1/2" all standard dishes. Finished in Tornado red. £600 for them. I've got 4 new Uniroyals being delivered to go on as well. Doubt I would sell them with the car unless it was a very nice offer.