FasthunVR6

Strange overheating issues

Greetings all!

I come to you with a conundrum.

I run a '95 VR6, bar some body work she has been good as gold for 3 years, Vince does all the work on her so she has been in good hands with a smudge under 100k on the clock.

Now, 3 weeks ago I noticed a slight darkening of the coolant fluid and similarly timed an increase in water temps, even on a gentle, legal motorway cruise, to around 105C. Flushed and replaced the coolant and gave her an oil change, made no difference.

I am thinking head gasket BUT, no smoke, no smeg, no noises, no loss of power, 34-35 MPG, radiator pipes are hot and so is the rad, fans spin up and if I run the heaters I can bring the temp back down to 90C. (not great with recent summery temperatures being quite warm enough thanks)

So I am at a loss.

Any ideas much appreciated!

Cheers all

It depends if the head gaset could be gone but allowing oil into the water,but around the chambers could still be sealed.

I would think it could be to do with your oil cooler, that would be easier to replace and see if it solves it.

The cylinder gases could be getting into the cooling system and head gasket can be acting as a one way valve since pressures are higher. Darking could be gases diluting coolant. You can get a CO2 indicator kit that you put it in a small bottle with a sample of the coolant with a fluid that turns colour if CO2 is present.best way to find out if its the head.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Engine-Coolant-Tester-Kit-CO2-Leakage-New-/250730247077

Coolant pump belt slipping? Or thermostat sticking?

Edited by dannyboy

Cheers guys, will have the coolant tested for CO2 , but I have looking for an excuse for a mocal anyway so if I can smoke it past the other half as a "necessary expense" as the original "has gone" and have the HG done at the same time for "peace of mind"....... Oh well, looks like its time to call Vince again!