SamG40

Dodgy MOT

After a bit of advice if anyone has any experience with this situation. The other week I remembered the MOT was probably about due on the C. It ran out on the bank holiday sunday and I realised on the friday evening so I ran around saturday morning trying to get it done. Now the usual place I use couldn't fit me in but I stumbled across another place that could and they were only £20, brilliant. Now the bloke who did the test was rude and annoying but given the situation I put up with it and walked out with a pass sheet. It was a painful affair and not one I'll go into fully but my issue is the advisory list. I'll list the ones with issues below.

Nearside rear suspension arm has slight play in a pin/bush

Offside rear suspension arm has slight play in a pin/bush

Nearside inner rear brake pipe slightly corroded

Offside inner rear brake pipe slightly corroded

Centre nearside inner rear brake pipe slightly corroded

Centre office brake pipe slightly corroded

Rear brake pads wearing thin

Now at the time a couple of things struck me as odd, one being that I had the rear bushes replaced a couple of years back which I pointed out to him and he insisted there was play in them. I replaced all the brake pads and discs at once a couple of years back and thought it was odd the rears had worn before the fronts. Now today I've taken the car to a mechanic I trust implicitly, he went to school with my brother so is know in my family for years and he's a top lad. He says there is nothing wrong with any of the above at all. He also gave me a couple of examples of this guy doing similar things to other people to the point where when the tester was challenged with a passed MOT from another tester, and the customer saying there was nothing wrong with the car, he paid them off not to shop him apparently.

Where would I get with a complaint to VOSA? I'm assuming he could just say I've changed the parts since the MOT was done which was a couple of weeks ago now? The guy seems as dodgy as anything and stuff like this annoys me greatly. Part of me thinks I should chalk it down to experience and just not go there again but what also gets to me is the list of stuff on the advisory list for anyone buying the car will make it look like there is loads wrong with it and its been neglected when it hasn't.

I wouldn't worry too much, if you were about to sell then I see your point, but otherwise I'd just ignore it. Plenty of testers get the rear taper bearing play wrong and write an advisory, depends on who does it. All stations get tested by vosa from time to time and testers have to go on regular assessments and training, just put it down to a grumpy git on a bad day and go somewhere else in future. Perhaps he was trying to generate work, but he's in good company, my boss was informed by his Audi dealer that his a6 needed new pads at the service/mot as they were 80% worn, that's exactly the same percentage they quoted last year :lol:

im with davidwort on this,sounds like he's just tryin to get work from you.

i had a similar experience a while back.

Agree with the above. If you want to be sure though and have a reliable place you normally use, then see how much it would cost for them to take a quick look for a second opinion. Shouldn't take them long so I guess it would be cheap. That would put your mind at rest.

Agree with the above. If you want to be sure though and have a reliable place you normally use, then see how much it would cost for them to take a quick look for a second opinion. Shouldn't take them long so I guess it would be cheap. That would put your mind at rest.

top idea! get them to do whats known as a pre-mot check for you,shouldn't be more than 20 groats

and as portent said,you could put it out of your mind then:thumbleft:

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as your car is safe, that's the main thing. If he way handing out passes for dangerous cars - that's another thing.