joeypineapplez

Steering column boot

My car has had a steering rack replacement by a previous owner however whoever carried out the job forgot to replace the steering column boot (the bit that covers the hole in the firewall as the column enters the engine bay) and of course as you can imagine its a noisey affair without it.

Ive got a new boot now and Im wondering whats the best way to replace it. Most of my dash panels are out at the moment (another job) so by looking at it it would seem that i can undo the 13mm bolt where the steering colum joins to the UJ and seperate it enough to slip the boot on. I can then push it through the firewall to where its ment to be. I have removed the 13mm nut and bolt but the column shows no sign of seperating from the UJ. I have tried gentle force. Should I man up and give it more welly.? Theres also a spring there that looks like it might be a pain in the dick to fit back on.

Any advice welcome before I soldier on and make tramp jizz of it.

You'll need to remove the steering column to do it that way, even with the 13mm pinch bolt removed the UJ can't slide off the splines on the end of the column at that angle.

Ok thanks David. I had a feeling it looked too easy. I dont fancy removing the column just for that.

Maybe I could cut the boot, slide it over the column, glue it back together and push into place.?