jonny_ash

Getting Steamy!

I'm losing a lot of coolant. Filled it up on friday, only done about 20 miles in 3 seperate journeys since and the light came on again this morning. Not sure if its related but when i started it this morning and left it running to de-ice it smelt like it was running very rich. There seemed to be a bit too much steam coming from the exhaust for my liking even after warming up and I noticed some coming from my window demisting vents after I had turned the fans off causing my windows to steam up. I know the obvious answer is the heater matrix but there's no sign of leakage eg. wet carpet and I have replaced this a few years back anyway. Any ideas??

Thanks

John

It can only be a few things:

A leaking pipe - try leaving some carboard or paper under the car and look for signs of drips. Also check pipes for any residue.

Head gasket - which would explain excessive white vapour - any mayo under the oil cap?

Heater matrix - the windows would probably be covered in condensation inside each morning.

Thanks for the reply. Update.... Just checked oil cap and looks fine. Done the head gasket recently and had a sniffer test done since then which came up clear. Its lost so much water this morning so there's none even visible in the expansion tank. Had another check of my carpet and its wet running down from where the matrix is. Great! :( Got that matrix from GSF and it can't be more than 2 years old.

Yes Ive heard quite frequently that non oem ones don't last more than a few years unfortunately :(

GSF used to do a Valeo matrix, not sure if they still do? Think it's listed as the 'Premium' option.

Thanks.

Had a look and I reckon I'm going to plump for that one. Really not looking forward to this job again!! Thinking back it may be a bit longer than 2 years but not much. I don't remember being given the option of 2 different types when I bought it but if I did I don't think I would have gone for the cheaper option. If I did I consider it to be a lesson learned.