Sign in to follow this  
C. Will Corrado G60 2

Wanting to swap g60 radiator for 16v as it's smaller...

Ok,

So I'm having problems with my FMIC piping and need a little more space (boost leak) :( . A friend of mine has suggested I swap my g60 radiator with 16v one as it's smaller.

Will this cause any issues with cooling?

Please note I've changed the fan to a performance Kenlowe fan.

Any help would be really appreciated.

cheers

[/i]

i think its quite important to keep the engine running at the correct temperature, a lot of ppl as i have done upgarde to a vr6 radiator for the g60, so i would nt really want to downsize the radiator

Do you have an aftermarket oil cooler fitted. I knocked about 30 degrees off the oil temp and a noticable amount off the water temp by fitting a decent mocal cooler (it now runs at a far more sensible temp 100 ish). You may find that if you fit a large oil cooler then you can get away with a smaller rad? The oil temp after all has an effect on the water temp, especially if you still run the VW oil to water oil cooler.

There is quite a bit of space under the charger to fit a good sized oil cooler

SIZE ISNT EVERYTHING!!! The 16v rad altho smaller has tbigger core internals so cools as good as the g60 item

I know I can move the radiator left or right but theres no way i can move it back as the charger would smash through it.

Couldn't get any pics last night, will try and get some up tonight. It will clearly show my problems.

Cheers

Does anyone know how much smaller the radiator on a 16v is to G60?

I'm going to take a pic and show you guys what I'm dealing with here. Should be up later on today when I get home.

It's the same length as a carb mk2 golf 8v rad, and looks 2/3 the size of an ordinary 8v mk2 gti rad but has more tubes going across to compensate, I'm sure it's slightly less effective than the G60 rad as that is designed for a 160bhp car as opposed to the 130-140 of the 16v engine although the 16v obviously revs higher, and it's also interesting to note that the 2.0 16v has the same rad as the 1.8 and at 10% greater engine capacity will generate more heat than a 1.8 16v.

There's obviously quite a margin for safety built into the 16v cooling system and unless you use a car on the track it's unlikely that UK weather is going to reach the extremes they were tested for.

As long as oil temps don't rise too high and the water temps stay within a sensible range then the system is coping.

Out of interest, when I replaced my 1.8 16v rad with a 'GSF special', what they listed was actually a carb 8v rad (just because it looked the same size) I tried it and it maintains temps just as well as the old (more tubes) genuine VAG 16v one even on a 2L block.

David.

David,

Cheers for the info, looks like it could be possible but as you may well know once you start changing things they generally have a knock on effect to other areas. As the 6G0 does run hot in my opinion this maybe a dangerous move for me.

In traffic I'm looking at 115/120 oil temp & 80/90 water temp. What do you think to these temps?

Does anyone have the Dimensions of the 16v radiator?

Cheers

David,

Cheers for the info, looks like it could be possible but as you may well know once you start changing things they generally have a knock on effect to other areas. As the 6G0 does run hot in my opinion this maybe a dangerous move for me.

In traffic I'm looking at 115/120 oil temp & 80/90 water temp. What do you think to these temps?

Does anyone have the Dimensions of the 16v radiator?

Cheers

oil sounds a bit hot to me, valvers are generally the hottest running (in general driving) and see 110-116 on the MFA commonly, above that seems a bit hot even if it is within VW acceptable temps, especially for an 8v engine???

around 105-110 is the most efficient for a normally aspirated 8v, I know that as a fact from my dad's engine dyno testing days at GTI Engineering performance on the test bed peaked at 108 deg IIRC, that was on Mobil 1 10/40.

David.