Otto

Long time golf gti fan first time corrado vr6 owner

Hi folks my name is Dave. Am From Belfast Northern Ireland and a member of the gtini.com forum, but new to here.

I have been a long time golf mk2 owner, but have just bought a car i have wanted for a very long time a 1995 corrado VR6 in the colour I always wanted blackberry.

Now to be more precise I have bought most of the car, as there are bits missing, most notably the whole interior, front head light, indicators and a list of other bits am sure am not aware of at the moment.

But being new to corrado and vr6 ownership, I know there are a few problems with all the cars we love so dear, and as if to prove my point the car I bought was nearly scrapped because of a blower motor fire.

So as I have lots of plans and as plans can change (obd2, turbo, supercharge, 3.2, 3.6, 4 motion, standard and untouched ????) I wanted to be part of the main corrado community as well.

I know this isn`t the place to post this part but the very first thing on my list of plans, is to get the car back on the road, and reliable. I have no history of the car, it has had a blower motor fire which am told was small, it hasn`t melted the dash board or blackened the windscreen, but i haven`t had the dash off to inspect the wiring. I have heard rumours of vr6`s going up in flames for a couple of issues, i don`t want it happening again. Am not sure if the engine runs, as it has had its leads removed, it`s a coil pack but i don`t know the firing order to plug them back in, am sure its somewhere, but again any help pics or links to what i need would be great, and i hope to be able to give back over the years i want to own this car.

So I need advice. I don`t want to get into any modifications just yet, the car already has had some and I have a list of what i want to look at but i'll post that on my main build thread when I put it up, so putting them aside what are the main reliability issues with the cars and engines. here is some of the stuff i have want clarification on and if there is anything else i have missed or should know please any help is great appreciated.

Engine- it will need a chain and sprockets am sure- any good brands, really awful brands, or is original best- and upgrades that should be looked at like water pumps, better after market options on tensioners of anything like that?

Electrical - how to avoid fires in the future, wiring upgrades like lights, wiring replacement - where to get them.

other issues - suspension weak points, rust and rot spots, upgrades best to do instead of original ie - steering rack bushes, brake pipes etc.

I know there are sections for this, but i kinda felt that this was a good place to start.

Looking forward to being part of the forum and thank you in advance for your help.

Regards

Dave

Welcome. Original chains and mk4 tensioner are the usual recommendations.

Looking forward to a build thread :)

Welcome Dave - There have been electrical problems with the wiring behind the l/lamp switch, see this thread: http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?49497-Headlight-switch-and-loom-fires-DIY-prevention. The wipers are generally poor in use so popular upgrades are either TT or Lupo GTI ones.

We're generally a very friendly and helpful forum, try the search facility and ask if necessary.

Ian.

Welcome to the CF.

What makes you think it definitely needs chains and tensioners doing, when you haven't had it running?

Hi guys and girls, thanks for the welcome.

Yeah I have read about the light switch issue as well and will look into that.

In reference to the chains and tensioners, truth is i don`t know if they need done, they could be brand new, but i don`t have the service history and am thinking it might be a case of better safe than sorry. At least if i do it, i know its done and to my standards.

If you want my opinion, save your money ... and time!

At least until you've heard it running. You should be able to tell right away from the engine noise whether the chains/tensioner needs doing.

Yes they will probably need doing at some point during the engine's life but it's not the norm just to do them as a preventative measure. I've been on here a decade and I don't remember reading a thread about a snapped chain/ruined engine.

Cheers Vr6, well this is it, I knows a bit about these engines, so'll I'll be calling in on him to talk things over.

Build thread is up if you want to have a gander under the title "Daves VR6"... no laughing please :p