ray_vr6

Strange Vibration

Hi

Wondered if anyone can help with an issue I seem to have with my 1990 16v.

When driving there seems to be a low droning type sound accompanied with a vibration through the floor pan that is not evident through the steering wheel.

It’s not very bad just annoying.

I have had new tyres fitted since it first appeared and all the wheel bearings were changed at the start of the year

Any ideas out there?

The first thing i would do is get underneath and do a good spanner check making sure nothing is loose, something is not quite right.

Also check your front brake disks are clean and are on nice and flat against the hub, then the wheel onto the face of the disk, when you've got it up in the air give the wheels a wiggle and check your bearings..

Any other symptoms ?

Edited by daleyboy

Not really - handling is fine - the only thing at my last service was that one of the ball joints will need replacing soon - could that have somethong to do with it?

Hi - pretty much right through the rev range - If I had not had the bearings done I'd be thinking they were to blame

There's a vibration damper on the driveshaft that can come loose. Sort of like a big doughnut. Won't cost you anything to check either ...

I know you said you've had the bearings done, but once my brother took his 16v in for rear bearings and the useless garage that did it damaged one when they were putting it in. After a few hundred miles it had worn so badly the wheel was visibly loose. They have to be put in carefully and almost clinically clean as any crap in them will destroy them in no time. And that was a well known chain where he thought they wouldn't fleece him. They ended up having to replace many damaged parts after admitting it was their fault, but he was lucky it didn't cause an accident. Anyway, the fact that it is a droning noise suggests it is on rotating machinery, and if it changes with road speed as opposed to engine rpm then it is most likely wheels....(or drive shaft bearings, uh oh...) Front ones normally sound worse when cornering and the wheel in question is under more load.

Hope this helps........

Edited by kbtVR6

Guess if it were the drive shaft bearings it is as esay to replace the driveshaft (reconditioned?) - glad she is comming of the road for winter in a couple of weeks - give me time to address this problem!

Just went to the garage on the way home and it appears they only changed one front wheel bearing - and the other one is now shagged! - so hopefully that is a cheap fix!