Joss_Durnan

VR6 Difficulty Starting

I've suspected that the starter motor in my VR has been slowly dying for some time now. The problem has gotten worse recently, and it's made me think the problem might be something other than the starter. If I could avoid paying £140 for a new starter motor then that would be great!

More often than not now, when I turn the key, nothing happens. The ABS light comes on as usual when I try to start it, but the starter motor won't turn at all. Until today, if I held the key round at ignition for a few seconds, the starter would eventually turn and start the car. Now though, it seems to be a lottery if the car starts no matter what I do.

Also, sometimes the starter will turn, but fail to start the engine and make a horrible clunking sound before stopping.

What do these symptoms suggest? The horrible noise and difficulty the starter has in actually getting the engine going makes me think it's the starter itself. But could the delay between me turning the key and the starter motor turning be down to bad wiring/ignition?

I'd say the problem's fairly consistent. Maybe slightly worse when hot.

Go to Halfords and get the battery tested...

I think it's probably the starter but it would be a weak / faulty battery or ignition switch.