Hofmiester

Water temp reading, vr6

Hi all,

My water temp never seems to get much higher than 1/4 of the way up the gauge, apart from in heavy traffic when it can rise to just above the half way line.

Anything I should be concerned about? Oil temp is a stead 95-105c depending on use and no visible signs of oil in water. Engine runs good.

Previous owner changed the blue temp sensor recently.

Cheers

Ron

The blue temp sensor is for the ECU, not the dashboard gauge! The yellow one does the gauge (and the fan overrun on speed 3).

Best to get a new one from VW, I went through three second-hand ones none of which worked! The replacement will be black with a blue band on, don't worry, it's the same part. Should be #701 919 369D.

If that doesn't fix it your thermostat is probably stuck open. Change all three parts of the housing and the long plastic pipe across the front of the engine at the same time to save yourself the trauma of trying to get them apart without smashing them...

Stone

Edited by Stonejag

The blue temp sensor is for the ECU, not the dashboard gauge! The yellow one does the gauge (and the fan overrun on speed 3).

Best to get a new one from VW, I went through three second-hand ones none of which worked! The replacement will be black with a blue band on, don't worry, it's the same part. Should be #701 919 369D.

If that doesn't fix it your thermostat is probably stuck open. Change all three parts of the housing and the long plastic pipe across the front of the engine at the same time to save yourself the trauma of trying to get them apart without smashing them...

Stone

Thanks a lot Stone, very helpful! Might also explain why the fan is on all the time!

Hi guys, I just wanted to say that I had most of the coolant system changed today, all plastic pipes plus thermostat (already had a new radiator)

Temp readings are perfect now so all sorted, thanks for the advice!