51ngh

Dreaded Chains

Hi all,

Just purchased a Corrado vr6 a few days back and this is my first post!

Basically its done 120,000 miles and I wanted to get the chains/tensioners/guides done as a precaution... I can hear some sort of chain/"marbles in a can" noise but its not hugely loud....yet...

Can any of you reccommend any places in London (west London) preferably that do a good job any are relatively inexpensive...I have heard yaash Motorsport is v good.

I have seen the DIY guides but am not confident to do it alone.. Also any idea on prices to expect and time...:thumbleft:

Thanks in Advance...

Thanks... sorry if its a silly Q but who is D&G? 1K seems high..

Given how labour intensive the job is, not to mention the cost of the parts I think the price is pretty reasonable. Have a read here of the Corrado Forum guide to doing the chains...

http://wiki.the-corrado.net/vr6_clutch_and_timing_chains_replacement_part_1.html

DG Autotech are the place Portent are referring to - their website is here:

http://www.dgautotech.com/

They're up in Kidderminster but worth a drive to get the job done properly.

http://www.dgautotech.com/dgauto/

When I'm back home later I will check the invoice to see if it included any other work. It probably included installation of the uprated cams that the car has. But I'm not sure if it included the cam purchase cost.

Edit: Damn, beaten.

Is the noise constant?

I know on mine the hydraulic tappets can sound rather rattly but this is normal for the first few minutes & quietens down quickly

Not saying it's not happened (someone will find a thread!), but in all the years, I can't recall anyone who's chains went. The chains rarely go, more often the guides or the tensioner. I'd say don't panic, get the oil and filter done, just to keep everything clean with good oil and then decide if you need them done. Although some people may cringe, you could arguably just run it 'til the engine dies (unlikely but you never know!) and then fit a replacement. Replacement is a days work and there is a nice man on here selling one. Or just fit a replacement, will probably be cheaper! Keep your working engine as a spare and do the chains when you feel confident.

Get the top tensioner inspected first before going whole hog. If its not that bad and your not going to do a lot of miles in the car then its not urgent IMO. You may get lucky like I did, 135k miles with very little wear. As said the VR aint a quiet engine so may sound worse than you think it is.

Thanks guys,

The noise seems more apparent on startup (v cold this morn)... then seems to quiten down..

in response to the q's above, yes its my first VR.. may be the tappets.. im really not sure.. may take it down to the garage to get it checked out and ask to check top tensioner..

Am doing about 22miles a day total mostly at 75ish on m4...

Also may do a mini service to ensure oil is good... Whats the best to use?

I always use 10w40 Synta Silver (semi-synthetic). It's done me well and I never realy notice it much louder one cold start up, which must be good!

Also may do a mini service to ensure oil is good... Whats the best to use?

If you search on this forum oilman from opie oils did a good post on benefits of fully synthetic oils.............i have only used fuchs silkolene pro-s 5w-40 since reading that ;)

i would guess it is just your tappets getting the fluid round if the noise quietens down like you say - IIRC hydraulic tappets are always noisey when it is first start of the day

m8 in all honesty your best off leaving it by the sounds of it, think your money would be better off spent else where especialy seeing as you havent had the corrado long problems will soon show themselfs, maybe do the brake pads and discs? oil and filter? wheel bearings? vr6's are strong motors! and will have a slight tic tac noise compared to other engines, unless its sounding like a tractor or somethings seriously wrong idd leave well alone otherwsie your be regretting spending money on something which you might not ever reap the benefits from unless its a keeper,but if you do want to go down that road get the clutch done at the same time ,

thanks guys, seriously feel the love on this forum compared to "others"...

i took the car to yaash motorsport yesterday and the guys there confirmed its just noisy tappets.. PHEW:dance: hes going to flush the engine and put decent oil for me...

Few things need doing:

- Disks/pads at front so im thinking to just put golf vr 288mm on the front..Also, do they fit over the standard speedlines? I read in a few places they do but just wanted to make sure....what do i need (calipers and carriers & hoses with the banjo fittings???) Anyone have any for sale that i could get by this Fri???

- very hard to get into 1st, any rebuild kits i can get byfri or is it worth putting a mk4 vr shifter mechanism in?(what do i need)

Yes this forum is great. I think that's partly because it's such a small community compared to mainstream car forums.

288's should fit under standard speedlines (I keen meaning to do the upgrade myself).

1st gear issue - It could be worn gear linkages or simply needs adjustment. But something else to look at is whether your engine and gearbox mounts are worn . When I changed mine it improved things considerably.

Get the gear linkage checked / aligned and try a gearbox oil flush too - might help the gear change situation! Redline MT90 or Silkolene SynTrans are the two gearbox oils to try :)

thanks guys, seriously feel the love on this forum compared to "others"...

i took the car to yaash motorsport yesterday and the guys there confirmed its just noisy tappets.. PHEW:dance:

thats great news its not suspect chains!!!!

the money saved on those can go towards replacing your running gear - the ride & handling are sooo much improved once all those parts & suspension have been refreshed!! ;)