Jim Bowen

Headlight issue- Now Fixed

My headlights won't turn on now :lol:

I noticed that i was turning them on by the switch and only side lights would come on, but if i flicked full beam on and off then the dipped beam would work. But now nothing. :(

Is this likely to be the switch?, is actually quite a new one. Am at work at the moment so going to try and go home before its dark, have got 2 new switches at home.

Edited by Jim Bowen

nah, i never fitted the loom, its all just standard still.

Also worried the headgasket is failing now as well, noticed water level going down and can't spot any leaks :(

Been trying to fix this but no joy. Not the switch or the inline fuse I did. Doesn't seem to be the bulbs either.

Not sure what to check next or how.

Have noticed that when I pull stalk for high beam without the keys in ignition. The aux water pump comes on.

Got a few electrical issues and now feeling quite sure it's fusebox. Maybe from when headlight loom burnt out 3yrs ago.

Going to stick it back in garage for now. Don't fancy risking a fire or meltdown.

Almost certainly an earthing problem. Same fuse box s used in the Mk3 so just get one off eBay, highly unlikely that's the problem though.

Well that's a bit reassuring. Might not call someone out straight away.

Any idea what earth it might be? The ones behind dash or in engine bay?

Could a rear bulb being wrong cause it. They had the same spec but not the same number. Was something like E19 I needed.

Can't find anything so far, tried a couple of mobile auto electricians and they busy for weeks, probably too cold for them imo.

Could it be an issue with the stalk on column or a relay?

---------- Post added at 1:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:06 PM ----------

Been testing with a multimeter and i think i have power at the headlights, certainly seems to change voltage on each pin when i switch the switch to different stages.

i seem to get a reading for side light circuit, low beam circuit and the hi beam circuit.

When high beam is on all three pins show some voltage. Can't figure out if i have 4 broken bulbs, i just swapped the bulbs for new ones, but i did buy them years ago, all at the same time. Might try plugging in one of the inpros i just bought.

Fitted the upgraded headlight loom and can get headlights to work as normal now, but they sometimes turn off when going from hi-beam to low beam and you can hear the new relays "flickering"

I reckon it might be my stalk now, something to do with that.

Just typing out my symptons a bit clearer, to see if this makes any sense.

Side lights come on with switch in position 1.

Low Beam does not come on with switch in position 2, side lights stay on.

Full beam comes on with the stalk.

Headlights both work when plugged into separate 12v supply.

I seem to have power at the connector to headlights (power for sidelights, lo and hi) All show up on the multimeter.

Tried swapping switch for a new one, and same symptoms.

Before the lo beam stopped working altogether i was sometimes having them not switch on until i toggled hi beam on then off.

Now i've fitted the uprated loom and have similar symptoms, except i can now get lo to come on, but flicking between hi and lo with the stalk can sometimes cause the lo beam to turn on/off or if i hold stalk in the relays seems to flicker like mad.

Am i right in thinking now the new loom is in place, then it has to be the stalk or switch and as i've tried the switch it must be stalk?

Can't find anywhere to check earths, bentley says they are all within the loom, so are the earths all made in the fusebox?

yes, i tried it with that connected and disconnected. Didn't seem to change anything that i could notice.

Have ordered a new stalk so get that tomorrow, will try fitting it and if no joy i will end i taking it to a garage. Bloke i saw this morning didn't believe the normal circuit contained no relays

FIXED:

Turned out to be the indicator stalk, ordered one of them £15.99 ones from ebay and its sorted the problem.

FIXED:

Turned out to be the indicator stalk, ordered one of them £15.99 ones from ebay and its sorted the problem.

well done!! a little perseverance goes a a long way ;)