dan95x

VR6 'Jerky' Coming off Throttle/On Steadyish throttle! Any Ideas?

Hi All,

New to VR ownership and mostly loving it so far, however I do have an irritating (if not the end of the world) problem that I thought I would see if it is a common one.

As a rule the car runs well, pulls nicely etc etc, however, it has a very irritationg jerk sometimes when you come off a steady throttle, or if holding on a steady throttle and you adjust your foot.

This only seems to happen when over about 3K revs, and only when engine speed has been relatively constant, so for example, if on a private road at a steady 80/90 ish, and you come off throttle to slow down (but without breaking, so perhaps slowing for upcoming traffic) initially there is quite a jerk - almost as if you have lost power (although no accompanying drop in revs - we are talking miliseconds that you get the 'power loss' for) before it settles and loses speed normally. You get the same effect in all gears, so for instance if joining a dual carriageway/mway in 2nd or 3rd, and you hold in gear at about 3-4K revs for acceleration up to speed when you have judged traffic gap etc, the same thing happens if you come off the throttle slightly.

I hope I have described that in a way that makes sense - It is difficult to describe! I am guessing that it probably isnt throttle cable etc sticking as it only seems to happen at higher revs

Anyone have any bright ideas, or is this a common issue?

Cheers in advance folks

Dan

I hadnt thought of that - it isnt particularly 'clonky' when taking power up or changing gear etc, which has always been the case when I have had cars with knackered engine mounts in the past - I will check it out

Could be mounts, also worth checking the throttle damper (dashpot). If this isn't damping properly anymore, the throttle will snap shut too quickly, causing jerkiness when coming off the throttle.