tom_rob_89

ride quality?

hi all i want to inprove the ride quality of my "96 2.0 8v. It has all standard suspention parts at the moment. I am thinking of keeping my standard shocks but putting -35mm apex lowering springs and all new top mounts/bearings, ball joints, wishbone bushes, bump stops, anythings else like that anyone could suggest while im there? rubber parts basicly.

will doing all this make a big difference to the ride quality? or am i wasting my time and money?

thanks for any advice :)

Good luck! Maybe try driving in a country where they actually invest in road surface quality?!!! Nothing could improve the way my car rides on the appalling surfaces around where I live, roads dug up every 5minutes, roads left with huge pot-holes and speed humps installed everywhere in blanket fashion!

Edited by Billzeebub

tell me about it man. the roads are bloody terrible in this country especially considering the amount of road tax everyone pays?!? But im just thinking that if i change all the rubber bits it might make it at least a bit better? it just feels a bit loose and knocky.

Some things to consider are: how often you use the car, how far you travel and if there are any adverse conditions you encounter if you use the car regularly.

I fitted similar springs to standard shocks about twelve months ago. The entire front end was replaced for new as well. My daily drive to work means I have to navigate about twelve large speed bumps. Whilst "knocking about" the suspension was perfectly acceptable for the investment, Unfortunatly I changed it back within three months due to the lack of comfort.

Whilst standard is un-fashionable somewhat, I'm still a big fan of standard suspension and 15's.

What size wheels/tyres do you run with ?

Edited by James.

I run 3cm lowered suspension with standard wheels/tyres and am very happy with the way the car feels. I have considered going larger 16/17 wheels with low profile tyres but think the ride would just be too crashy, it would look ace though..

Replacing the rubber bits will improve the handling and stability more than the comfort or ride quality I would say. Lowering your car with Apex and standard shocks is probably the worst thing you can do. The standard shocks will not be up to the job, they were not designed for that spring height. I had Apex on mine with Konis and hated them. They snapped too, as did the Apex springs on my S4 when bought it. You would be better putting Bilstein or Koni shocks with your standard springs or at least getting a quality suspension kit, with say HandR springs and Bilstein shocks, which get a good write up. Just my thoughts.

I run 3cm lowered suspension with standard wheels/tyres and am very happy with the way the car feels. I have considered going larger 16/17 wheels with low profile tyres but think the ride would just be too crashy, it would look ace though..

So are u running 3cm lowering springs on standard shocks?

I'm on 16" wheels with 45's

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

You see the thing is that money is an issue, the fact that I dnt have much haha. So I can't afford to go and buy a set of blisten shocks at the moment. I'd be happy if it was a little bit tighter and smoother (which all the rubber bits might make a difference?) and to look a bit lol. I'm never expecting it to be like a new car cos it is 15 years old lol, but just a bit less chunky and a bit tighter round the bends will do lol.

Any thoughts? Cheers guys.

So are you after better handling/grip/chuckability? Or better ride quality/comfort/bump absorption? Unless you throw serious money at it, there's a trade off between the two - improve one and you sacrifice the other (you can add stance into the mix too).

35mm lowering springs and 16" wheels with 45 profile tyres will improve your stance (subjective), may improve handling (you need a decent pair of dampers to match really), but make the ride quality worse.

If you want to improve ride quality, then stay on the original suspension and fit 15" wheels with 50/55 profile tyres.

Replacing worn rubber components should tighten up the suspension a little and improve handling and feel. A rear anti roll bar should preserve the ride quality and make the car a little less wallowy in corners.

Up to you as to what works best, but unfortunately there's no magical cheap solution!

BTW If you're working on a budget, all the rubber bits aren't super cheap if you get (recommended) genuine VW.

So are you after better handling/grip/chuckability? Or better ride quality/comfort/bump absorption? Unless you throw serious money at it, there's a trade off between the two - improve one and you sacrifice the other (you can add stance into the mix too).

35mm lowering springs and 16" wheels with 45 profile tyres will improve your stance (subjective), may improve handling (you need a decent pair of dampers to match really), but make the ride quality worse.

If you want to improve ride quality, then stay on the original suspension and fit 15" wheels with 50/55 profile tyres.

Replacing worn rubber components should tighten up the suspension a little and improve handling and feel. A rear anti roll bar should preserve the ride quality and make the car a little less wallowy in corners.

Up to you as to what works best, but unfortunately there's no magical cheap solution!

BTW If you're working on a budget, all the rubber bits aren't super cheap if you get (recommended) genuine VW.

Well I am working on a budget at the moment and was going to get lemforder parts, are these ok?

So do you think I should do all rubber bits ie. top mounts, ball joints, bump stops and going to do wishbones and bearings too. Anything ive missed while im there? because this should make it feel better and more like it should? no matter if i get springs or not?

As for springs I really do want to make it slightly lower though, would -30mm instead of -35mm make much difference, i know its a stupid question lol. Will they make it feel absoultly terrible or just abit stiffer and that over bumps?

I really dunno what to do lol.

30/35mm lowering springs won't make it feel terrible but there will be a difference over the bumps. I lowered the VR 30mm with H&R springs and Koni T/A dampers and it feels 'okay' but not as sublime as it did on standard suspension. To be honest, I think if the roads were in a better state it would be perfectly fine, but I do find myself steering around potholes and rough bits of road. The spring rates will probably make more of a difference to how crashy the springs feel, than the difference between 30/35mm.

Replacing the rubber bushes/joints/mounts/etc will make a difference if the current parts are worn. Depending on how worn they are, they could make a massive difference. You should be able to visibly tell how bad your top mounts are by looking how high the top plate sits under the bonnet. You should also be able to feel for play in the track rod ends and the ball joints with the wheel off the ground. If you're doing the top mounts you may as well do the bump stops for the sake of a few quid. Worth checking the ARB drop links too. I can't remember if I used Lemforder before or not, so don't know how good they are.

Don't forget to align the wheels (track AND camber) when done to get the full benefit.

Oh, and I don't know if it will make a big difference in an 8v as it has a much lighter engine, but I upgraded to a solid front engine mount and it improved the feel of the front end A LOT.

Thanks for all your advice :) I really appreciate it.

I am defiantly goin to replace all the rubber suspendtion parts and wish bones and stuff and goin to see how it feels with the -35mm apex springs, I can always change them back if I think they feel terrible.

Wish me luck lol, I just hope it makes it more like I want it

Thanks for your help :)