bully

It's ILLEGAL for the police to look into your insurance details regarding Mods

is this true? i read this on another forum for modified hondas.

It's ILLEGAL for the police to look into your insurance details, they are fully confidential and it's YOUR information. Yes, they can check if you actually have insurance. But they are not SUPPOSED to look into it as far as declaring mods as your policy is YOUR policy. Of course if you crashed, it would be a different story and you would get in trouble obviously.

Some of you might say what a load of tosh that is ^. But i **** you not, and i got that information of an insurance company themselves and also on motorway cops!

Needless to say, some police man will obviously do what they can to **** you up and it might be the case that they actually DO look into your actual policy and what it states - they are also known as, a bad 4 letter owrd beginning with C and ending with TS.

p.s this is what i was told.

Couldn't care less to be honest.. as far as I'm concerned they SHOULD be able to check your insurance to verify that any modifications are indeed declared. Too many idiots on the road as it is.

Id be suprised if this was true and as Jim says if its is true and they cant check specifics, they should be able to.

Besides determining whether a cars mods is on the insurance will decide if it actually has insurance or not.

It'll only encourage mods not being declared if this is true.

What does it matter? If you have an accident and your insurance refuses to pay because you had undeclared modifications, the only person in the **** is the guy who now has to pay for the 3rd parties costs.

And if that was to happen to me, I'd take the ****er to the cleaners!

why i put this up is because someone was given 6 points and banned as it was the first two years of driving... all he had was alloys and a exhaust.. the police took his details and passed it on to his insurance company, who cancelled his insurance on the spot making him a driver with no insurance... ths the 6 points the lad received... unfair in my eyes..

shud be given a warning and a order to produce documents with the mods added and or removed and have car inspected this is more fare.. modifield car are not a crime.. its pathetic...

why i put this up is because someone was given 6 points and banned as it was the first two years of driving... all he had was alloys and a exhaust.. the police took his details and passed it on to his insurance company, who cancelled his insurance on the spot making him a driver with no insurance... ths the 6 points the lad received... unfair in my eyes..

shud be given a warning and a order to produce documents with the mods added and or removed and have car inspected this is more fare.. modifield car are not a crime.. its pathetic...

I don't believe that. Even if they did void his policy on the spot, prior to that he was insured. Normally at that point, the police would tow the car.

I think who ever told that story used a bit of creative licence!

heres where i got it from...

http://www.civiclife.net/board/topic/93068-insuring-mods-and-police-stops/

View Posthaggis, on 23 January 2011 - 06:34 PM, said:

someone on here ended up with a ban for not declaring mods...was it Smiley?

yes it was, got stopped with a set of alloys, and a stainless exhasut undeclared, and my insurance company was contacted, as they didnt do mods for my age, they voided my policy, which then meant i wasnt insured for the random stop by the police.

outcome was, 6points, and a 400quid fine, as i was in ym first 2 years of driving, my license was revoked, and i was banned from taking it again for 9months.

i am now insured on all my mods everytime! i actually phone them the day i am planning to mod my car to ensure i am covered, not that i ahve actually been pulled in about 5years now, lol

Well that link was an entertaining read. Makes me think that creative writing is alive and well.

However it did make me wonder, what exactly is considered a "mod" given they talk about wheels, exhausts and even stickers? My car was supplied with alloy wheels, so if I change them for a different set but the same size is that a mod? Similarly with exhausts. I had dificulty sourcing a standard exhaust so got a stainless system, the idea being that I wouldn't have to worry about replacing it. Now is that also a mod. God I'm getting confused. I always assumed my car was standard. Oh wait, I've taken the bump strips off the sides. Am I in trouble? :scratch:

I'd also be interested to know to what level they go to work out what is a modification - e.g. 288mm brakes on a Corrado? They look OE, they have VW part numbers on and were used on other VW's of the era - would your average insurance assessor notice them?

lol.. i think the moral is.. if you want peace of mind and a smile on your face when your stopped declare everything.. so if they do go deeper and ask your insurance you will feel safe.

id say anything that has enhanced the performance or desireability of your car can affect your insurance.

but on the other hand not all modification to your car will increase your premium,

experience of this has proved that better handling will ultimately decrease your chances of crashing.. thus putting your premiums down.. worth bearing in mind... im glad we have had a good old chat about this.

Anyone got any other thoughts on beoing stopped by the police?

onemethod ive found that works a treat is just be nice ask them how busy they are and wouldnt they rather be back at the station... keep it pleasant and on topic... as long as u got all your mot tax and insurance in order it stops the other questions...

Hmmm...

Couple of points here. The police don't actually need to check whether you're insured for mods or not. But there's nothing stopping the police telling your insurance company that the car is modified, at which point they're obliged to state that the insurance isn't valid if the car is modified (as the insurance cover is effectively void and the driver is breaking the law by driving without insurance).

As to what constitutes a modification - I'd say that ANYTHING that wasn't standard on the car from the factory, or offered as an optional factory/dealer extra needs to be declared. It's a moot point whether an assessor would notice 288 v 280 brakes or uprated cams. Also means that's it's fine to go from, say, Speedline alloys to Solitudes as both were options, but not okay to go to BBS RCs as they we're off a MK4 Golf.

i'm glad that guy had his license revoked. he modified his car knowing his insurance wouldn't cover him with modifications, rendering his policy invalid.

theres a massive difference between him crashing into you and his insurers paying costs and having to sue him personally.

declare everything. i do this to the point where my insurers get bored on the phone, but at least i know i'm properly covered. I also agree police should be able to check if mods are declared for the above reasons.

I would defo mention full s/steel exhaust to insurers - this is 100% a modification.

This is an interesting read. My insurance covers exhaust and all mods for as long as I do not go over XY BHP, etc... but then forgetting my insurance.

Does this fell into category of modification:

Uprated loom - I mean OEM loom is far more dangerous to drive with than the uprated loom,

Audi TT wipers - again, OEM does not really work that well while the Audi/Lupo wipers is dream to drive in a rain,

I mean all this stuff is safety improvements, would one be penalized for not declaring this as a mod on their insurance?

This is an interesting read. My insurance covers exhaust and all mods for as long as I do not go over XY BHP, etc... but then forgetting my insurance.

Does this fell into category of modification:

Uprated loom - I mean OEM loom is far more dangerous to drive with than the uprated loom,

Audi TT wipers - again, OEM does not really work that well while the Audi/Lupo wipers is dream to drive in a rain,

I mean all this stuff is safety improvements, would one be penalized for not declaring this as a mod on their insurance?

It's a good question - especially around things like wipers. However I don't think they could screw you in the event of an accident, if the modification was not directly responsible for the accident... so like if you had lupo wipers fitted but your brakes failed, unlikely they'd do anything about it.. however if it was raining heavily and a wiper flew off and you couldn't see then crashed into someone.. then the wipers would be under scrutiny and you could be subsequently in trouble.

Clarification from one of the many insurers that use the forum to promote themselves would be nice! :)

Clarification from one of the many insurers that use the forum to promote themselves would be nice! :)

As predicted... no response whatsoever :scratch:

Now then if we would say we will pay extra (ideally through our premium) to get this sorted, they would jump on us like a pack of hungry wolves. Sorry couldn't stop myself from posting this. Hope I didn't offend anyone :)

As predicted... no response whatsoever :scratch:

Now then if we would say we will pay extra (ideally through our premium) to get this sorted, they would jump on us like a pack of hungry wolves. Sorry couldn't stop myself from posting this. Hope I didn't offend anyone :)

I'll be cynical about it and say if its away to get out of paying then YES those items to make the car safer would be classed as modifications.

I'll be cynical about it and say if its away to get out of paying then YES those items to make the car safer would be classed as modifications.

I agree, if an insurance company can find anything​ to get out of paying a claim, they will.

alot of interesting replies... ive recently got new insurance declaring all of my modifications... and guess what its cheaper! im confused.com...

the issue is how does a modification actually affect a premium... i understand the obv better wheels, bodykit might make it more desireable.. but it wud not be a choice for someone to steal as it makes the car stand out more.. making it easier to find.. also.. if im upgrading my suspension its not to make it look good its to improve the handling... so surely i shud get a discount.. ?

its strange... but im happy ive declared everything and tim at prestige got me the cheapest price ive ever had.. so im a happy man.

Its all statistics, often doesn't matter what the intention of a modification is. If people who put go faster stripes on a corsa have more accidents than those that don't then go faster strips will increase premium.

As far as i see it, if its not a standard part then its a modification. Admiral website has locking wheel bolts in its list of modifications, makes no difference to the premium. The cynic in me trends to think they will consider anything they can to avoid a payout.

If your car is modified and you don't tell your insurer then your insurance is invalid and your car is uninsured. That's why they check it. It's the law.

As for taking motoring advice from a Honda forum well you really should know better than that shouldn't you? Duh!

If you go onto 'Compare the Market' in there quote screens they ask whether the car has been modified - click yes on that and there is a huge list of what they class as modifications. Some alarming ones to me is a towbar and roofrack.

Quite interesting to put your reg in and have a play, start standard and add various mods !!!

Roof rack!??? I mean that is something that you would take on and off. So what are you supposed to do, ring up your insurance each time you want to use the roof rack and amend your policy lol

Can stickers be classed as a mod?

Can stickers be classed as a mod?

Depends if they're structural or not - got a couple of them on my van :p