Sign in to follow this  
mariovr6

rs bumper

hello

i got a rs bumper what a havent fitted yet

its just the shell with no bolts and NO mouldings fitted inside IS THIS NORMAL?? am i going to have to stick the fitting bits on??

also is it a good idea to fit other bumper on like the rs one as ive been told the bumper holds the front together and shouldnt be driven without?

Hiya!

I've got a Reiger plastic RS4 front bumper on my car, and yes, it is normal to get just the shell of the bumper when you buy one... :?

To fit it properly, I had to take the old bumper off (4 big bolts under the front of the car, 2 each side... DO NOT UNDO THE MIDDLE BOLTS!) and then remove the bumper iron from the original plastic shell... To do this is simple, you simply pull out the clip seperators (little black plastic wedges) and then carefully prise the shell clips thru the iron work.

To fit the new bumper I fitted the iron work to the car as it should be with all the bolts tightened up properly, and then placed the new shell over the ironwork. I then made sure it was dead centered (take your time over this else it'll look well naff!) and then drilled 4 holes each side behind the indicators/fogs and rivited the bumper to the ironwork.

Originally I was going to use the normal "cotton reel" hangers by the wheel arches as I wanted an RS2 style bumper which doesn't have the side vents, but, due to a mild mess-up, I ended up with an RS4 one, so I couldn't use the reels as the vent is in the way... :roll: Instead, I lined up the bumper so it was spot on for fitment, and got a mate to drill 4 small holes through the wheel arch liner and into the bumper and put some self tapping screws in to hold the wheel arch ends of the bumper in place properly.

Once the bumper has been sprayed and I'm sure I'm happy with the fit, I'll also sikaflex the ironwork onto the plastic bumper by removing it from the car again, and sealing up all of the joins between the shell and the ironwork to help stick it into place for good... ;) 8)

Neither the RS bumper shell or the original bumper shell give the car any structural help at all... it's the ironwork which holds the lot onto the car which is structural so it's important that you use this when you fit your new bumper shell... :)

You should have a fitting kit that came with the bumper... what's in it?

cheers

im still kinda lost though

ive fitted bumpers to other cars but most came with built in bolts

i didnt get any fitting kit with it just the shell and some mastik glue thing

forgot to mention mine is rs4 not rs2

I'll take some photos tonight when I get home (I've got to jack my car up anyway to check the tightness of all of the bolts :roll: ) and I'll try to put together a "how to" style guide.... 8)

I just found out that I've gotta be in work at 4:30 am tomorrow... :shock: :? I'll do the photos tomorrow night as there's no way I'm gonna work on the car tonight... need some sleep! ;)

I've not forgotten this, but it's NASTY outside and I ain't getting any more wet taking a bumper off tonight... sorry... I'll definately do it at the weekend though, so you'll have photos then... 8)

...still not forgotten! ;) :lol:

Bummer about the compressor... :?