Smiithy

New here - buying a rado, 2.0 or vr6? mpg diff question.

Hi there,

Im new on here so hello everybody.

Just sold my vw bora and am now searching for a corrado.

Right my questions are, 2.0 or vr6?

Fuel economy difference? (can somebody give an example like £20 of petrol will get you x miles in vr and x miles in 2.0 9a doing town driving etc would be good)

Reliability?

Also when vr's go wrong are they ALOT more costly to fix?

Really need some answers as i can insure them both and this cash is burning a hole in my pocket!

Thanks

I can't offer a lot of advice I'm sure many people have owned all types of corrados here.

But my vr6 averages about 24mpg that's a mix of short, long and "spirited" drives.

As for reliability they are both vw my engine has 186k on the clock and still runs perfect.

Thanks dude :), mpg dosen't mean all that much to me haha, so if you where to put 20quid of fuel in or 30 - 40 whatever you know how many miles would you get mixed driving? thanks again

I don't really check to often tbh, but doing the maths in my head it should be around 90 miles from £20 at today's prices.

I've heard other people's vr's produce better economy, mines a little tired and I always leave it to idle for a while before driving to warm up so that's just throwing fuel away.

Hope that helps mate

I wouldn't know how much parts costs for a 2.0, the VR6 parts can seem expensive, but depends what you compare them to. I don't find starter motors, alternators, batteries, suspension, bushes that much more expensive that any other similar car, in fact when i see some of the modern prices the corrado can seem cheap. How much is a BMW headlight these days/, even a corsa wingmirror can be hundreds of pounds.

What makes a VR6 expensive to own is the labour costs imo, things are easy to change but getting to them takes the time.

The way i talked myself into getting a VR6, was if i don't feel its for me after 6-12months, then i could sell it back on for a small loss or probably the same price. 6yrs later i still have it and no job/problem seems to make me want to part with it.

try it, you might like..

Hey bud, I haven't owned a rado in a while but i've had 2 16v's one 12v vr6 and one 24v vr6.

The 24v was pants. In every aspect other then low down torque lol.

The 12v vr and both 16v's averaged 35-38 mpg when cruising between 50 and 80. Around town I'd get between 20 and 25mpg but I live in london and have a heavy right foot.

If you get a decent one they really are good on fuel for what they are. I can't remember off the top of my head but mixed driving with with a light foot would give around 100-120 miles to £20. Feel spirited and you can easily get less then half that.

So, mpg wise no difference between them.

As far as maintenance costs go both my VR's cost me alot more to run but that's mostly down to labour costs as I didn't have the time nor the confidence to tackle work on the vr. Reliability wise, again both my 16v's were better cars then my vr's and caused no problems in a couple years of ownership other then a coolant hose and distributor letting go on the first one. It's pot luck to some extent.

I'm currently looking for another corrado and I'm stuck between a vr and valver for the above reasons as far as reliability is concerned. Past experience dictates buy a valver and enjoy it for what it is, just don't race anything or you'll lose lol. On the other hand the VR engine is just such a peach. Mmm and the noise! :)

4 pots are better round the twisty's though no matter what anyone says.

Edited by Abdul

£20 will get you approx 15 litres of fuel. This equals 3.3 gallons. Based on an average of 23mpg You'd get about 80 miles from 20 quid but this obviously depends on your driving style.

As far as I understand VR6 and 2l 16v are suprisingly pretty similar on fuel consumption. I get approx 20mpg from my 2l 16v based on 2 6 mile rush hour journeys a day taking about 30 mins each way.

Less to go wrong on a 2l 16v I think but either way parts etc are expensive so make sure you have a bit of spare cash to keep her running.

Plenty of info on here as to benefits / drawbacks of each using search function.

Good luck!

Thanks guys, looks like vr may be abit to fuel thirsty for me unless the 2.0 16v is of a similar usage ill probs go 4 pot :( shame as the 6 sounds great!

Thanks guys, looks like vr may be abit to fuel thirsty for me unless the 2.0 16v is of a similar usage ill probs go 4 pot :( shame as the 6 sounds great!

Dude they drink the same amount unless your unleashing the vr in which case the extra 50hp will cost you a bit more in fuel.

Obviously there are some out there that drink more. Just buy the best example you can and avoid focusing too much on aesthetics as rust and dents etc tend to be easier to sort imo!

mines a 2.0 16v if u drive it with a soft foot you can get 29mpg... i dont have a soft foot right now im average about 24 lol

I've had several of both varieties. TBH, reliability depends on the specific car, not the model. Get one that's been cherished and it will look after you much better than some old neglected shed. They are all old now though, so no matter how well they've been looked after, they can still spit the dummy. I've never really had a major prob on mine. Only been left stranded twice- G60 hall sender failed + I ran out of petrol in my first VR :oops: :lol:

With regards to MPG, 2 of my 2.0 16v were really excellent- 35-40mpg on a run without fail. The other one wasn't so good, and was no better than any of my VR6s. The VR6s tend to be more like 31-34 on a run, but I did manage 37 mpg on a trip down to Dorset once. None of them are any good around town ;)

Depends also what sort and where you will be driving. My 16v 2.0 is giving me 20-30mpg on longer journeys but then 90% of my driving is to get me to and back from work = which means I'm stuck in traffic most of time. My mpg shows then usually at about 10-15mpg ^^ Yeah I know, just get a small Corsa for such driving but then I can only ever see one Corrado on my way to work... and yes that is my Corrado.

I do a bit regret getting 16v, should have gone for VR6 in first place. MPG wise is pretty much the same (ish)... not sure how it is with maintenance and reliability but tbh I do seem the same amount of posts/problems with both cars. They ARE reliable cars if you are willing to spend some money on them.

ps. and seriously this is no joke... once you get Corrado, petrol costs are least of your problems! ^^