Gurps Chana

Coolant leak!

Hi all.

Got a coolant leak on my corrado 1.8 16v -PB.

Coolant leaking from a unknown location. A few weeks ago it needed refilling every 3-4 days. Now it needs refilling everyday and I have no idea as to where it's leaking from!! When I do refill it, it only needs refilling enough for the expansion tank to come up to level. So the whole system is not loosing coolant. If it helps, the passenger rear carpet seems to be wet quite often. Don't really know if this is a separate issue?

sun roof could be casueing the damp rear carpet, possibly door seal? only thing that realy goes inside the car is the heater matrix { radiator for the heater} apart from the obvious look in the engine bay at all the hoses and where they connect, old plastic has a tendancy to crack , look on the engine for signs of water marks , maybe place a large peice of card under the front of the car and check for drips, use a torch to help look in the bay

I can see random white water marks all around the engine bay. Don't really know what that is pointing to. I find it a little odd how only the bottle is only loosing coolant. Are there any common plastic areas to look at in regards to the coolant system?

in regards to the plastic , the ones bolted to the engine idd check first but most plastic parts in/on the cooling system of age can become brittle and break/fracture, i dont know what you mean about the coolant bottle though? "I find it a little odd how only the bottle is only loosing coolant. "

If only the bottle is losing coolant then that would suggest the bottle is leaking.

The bottle is the only place you check the level of the complete cooling system. If the radiator is leaking. The level in the bottle will drop.

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

Have you got coloured coolant like the vw stuff. Helps spot leaks. I think I now understand what you meant. Does it only leak till the bottle is empty then stop?

Is it leaking when parked and cold?

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

Have you got coloured coolant like the vw stuff. Helps spot leaks. I think I now understand what you meant. Does it only leak till the bottle is empty then stop?

Is it leaking when parked and cold?

the waters going somewhere, oil on the dipstick look good? you checked the front carpets around and under the dash areas?

Right guys. Found the culprit. It was the hose connecting the Radiator to the cylinder head.

Part no - 027 121 063.

One end of the rubber pipe is wider than the other. So not easily salvageable.

In regards to the wet carpet... That's going to be another mystery.

Now to see where I can find another rubber pipe!

---------- Post added at 6:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:16 PM ----------

Front carpets look fine btw. It's just that rear passenger one. Smells really damp. Oil on the dipstick looks good also... Nice and golden.

Btw, the car would only leak whilst under pressure. So there was no way of me telling until I allowed it to warm up and give it some revs. Looks like its been changed before at some point so may be a common issue?