James.

Audi TT Mk1 (225) coupe owners advice

Anyone out there ran one as a daily ?

Prices/quality of parts etc ?

Are they okay for the home mechanic ?

Weighing up options for when/if the 8v lets go.

Thanks, James

(and now cowers behind the setee for the torrent of abuse)

My Mrs has a 225 Roadster - It is a nice car (even if being the roadster I look like a hairdresser driving it!) As a rule it seems fairly well built, however hers did get the dreaded 'dashpod failure' that lots seem to end up with. As the dashpod houses the immobiliser, it renders the car useless. A new dashpod is £900+VAT from Audi, and you have to have them reprogrammed too at extra cost! Luckily, being a common problem, there are companies on the internet that will refurb and guarantee their work - I used a company called BB Reman, and that solved it for less than £200 instead. It does obviously mean you cant use the car for a week or so while it is away being sorted.

Other than that, we havent really had any problems - perfectly fine to work on for the home mechanic, although I will warn you that compared to a rado, every job is a pain due to the fact that everything is so tightly packaged into the engine bay, so you have to remove a lot of stuff to get at what you actually want to fix!

Parts prices arent too bad in terms of anything I have had to buy - there is plenty of stuff around with the 1.8T engine, so plenty breaking for parts, and GSF/Euro are pretty good too.

I would also recommend having a go in one - While the 225 is undoubtedly a rapid enough car, I dont think they feel as fast as you expect them to (albeit that you are actually travelling at quite a pace) I would particularly say compared to something older and more 'raw' like a 'rado, you may be dissapointed with the feeling of speed, if not the actual speed (if that makes sense).

I've owned a couple of them back in 2002 and 2003. I really loved them and they are pretty cheap now. I nearly bought an older one instead of the Corrado but needed to scratch the Corrado itch. I'd certainly get one again. I also think that they will be a future classic; while they don't seem too special right now, they were so different to everything else when they first came out. They were based on the mk4 platform so not the most involving to drive or the most characterful engine. But they are quite quick for their age and have very good traction and grip.

I have one, a 225 coupe. well the mrs uses it as a daily, had a S3 before this, so decided on a TT just to scratch the itch, They have there faults, and dont buy one without plenty of research and take vag com with you to check for any fault codes, They are quite quick in standard form and suprisingly rapid remapped 260-280bhp, check for cam belt change/ haldex oil change / brake discs/ dashpod failure/ eml light/ drop links/ decent tyres/ uneven tyre wear, A nice looked after one is a truly fantastic coupe and quick when remapped, A few mods to the suspension dials out any understeer and numbness feeling that everyone goes on about, a wak box conversion helps with the lack of character from the engine too and is easy to do and free, if your ever down the north wales are i will take you for a spin, see what you think

---------- Post added at 8:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:10 PM ----------

Easy to work on, so far i have done springs and top mounts, lower ball joints, anti roll bars front and rear, which the collars break on them so need checking out as well, brakes all round disks and pads, cambelt and water pump, plugs, lampda sensor, oil pump pick up pipe. Remap/ which crazy dave did for me, and general sevicing. Sounds a lot but the car is a weekend hobby for me...

have a 180bhp bought it as a stop gap and i have to say it does exactly what it says on the can, 4wd, modern interior, flat neutral handling , loads of grip and creature comforts that you dont get in the corrado, but i still want a nugget !!!

have a 180bhp bought it as a stop gap and i have to say it does exactly what it says on the can, 4wd, modern interior, flat neutral handling , loads of grip and creature comforts that you dont get in the corrado, but i still want a nugget !!!

Nice looking TT there myles, ive got a nice double exit rear valance that would look nice on yours mate, youd just need the tail pipe for it

Thanks for all the clear answers chaps. Knew I could rely on Corrado folk for an honest reply. Read all about the dashboard and ARB, water pump etc. It makes a difference speaking to the owners though. Friend has a 225, but wanted to get a few opinions before I hop in it and get lead by the heart.

All the best, James

If ur waving good bye to the 8v, I'm in the market for a daily!

Hey you, whats the sketch. Hows the job going ? Ping me a PM if it's easier.

I'm in the process of changing the front wheel bearings and adding camber bolts so there's life in the old chap yet. It still blows my mind that the car passed its MOT without a single advisory though. Is that me or the car to thank ???

I've always wondered what to replace it with, should the need arise. And as I've always liked them and a friend owning one I jumped on one of those insurance websites for a quick quote and it threw back £270. Being cheaper than what I pay now, it set the old noggin into action. Spotted an Aviator grey and Glacier blue model within reaching distance. And thought I'd better do some research sooner, rather than later.

They made a special edition TT too the one without any rear seats instead replaced with a strut bar. Stands out from the norm. Cant remember what it was called ?

Is the 240 Sport, has 240bhp, came in limited colours and numbers, bucket seats and no rear seats.

Is the 240 Sport, has 240bhp, came in limited colours and numbers, bucket seats and no rear seats.

Thats the one..if I had to get a mk1 TT it will be that one...

Edited by VWVW

The sport is still very sought after and still holding its value, They really are smart but a lot of money for a few extras and a mild factory remap, something that can easily be done to a standard 225