Ray1965

whats the fuel consumption on a Corrado VR6 sports auto

Hi,

as the title says , is there a massive difference between the manual and auto transmissions. I'm new to the rado and are looking to buy, seen a nice VR6 sports auto. :scratch::scratch: :shrug:

you always sap a little power with that type of auto box, it'll be a few mpg worse if driven the same, but chances are a manual is driven harder so in the real world will use more fuel :)

Have recently sold a lovely late example of the VR6 Auto. I was pleasantly surprised by the urge of the car, particularly on the open road and motorway. I was achieving similar mpg to the manual VR6s that I have owned, maybe slightly thirstier-but it all depends how you drive it. I would definitely have another Auto. My prime concern when buying a Corrado is the overall condition of the car, colour, spec and gearbox type are largely of secondary consideration for me

Never liked autos since i tried one for the first time and the guy wanted me to reverse it off the pavement and onto the road, i had only been driving a year or so. Went straight backwards and hit a car, then panicked and drove forward into a lamp post :lol:

That's user error though! :lol:

I drive a VR6 auto and fuel consumption is very heavily dependent on how you drive it. I've eked 37mpg out of it in the past and equally driven it so hard it returned 15mpg! It will always be a little worse than the manuals as the auto box only has four gears - cruising at 70mph you'll be doing around 2900rpm and the throttle response will be a little on the soggy side. On the other hand, dropping to third lets you take off like a scalded cat :D

I average around 27mpg (motorway commute + smaller roads at either end) total - sounds a bit thirsty, but it's better than a mate's 2005 Fiesta!

As for Sport mode, some of the early cars (non-VR6) had a Sport/Normal mode switch on the gearshift surround, but the ECU for the VR6's box determines whether you want to be in sport mode by how violently you kick the pedal and whether you're pressing the kickdown switch at the end of its travel. Accelerate gently in 4th and it will stay in 4th, accelerate a bit more enthusastically and it'll drop to 3rd, slam the pedal to the end of its travel and hit the kickdown switch and you'll end up in 2nd! The power delivery's much smoother with less gears (in Sport mode 2nd can take you from 15-80mph!) and the box is still faster than manual changes so you can drive it as a semi-auto if you like by doing the changes manually. Bear in mind you'll put quite a lot of wear on the shifter mech by doing this - I had to replace the whole unit because the previous owner drove like this!

There's really nothing wrong with the auto at all, some benefits (especially in traffic jams and while reversing!) and some drawbacks (noticed most if you only do motorway cruising) but no "massive drawbacks". Make sure you change the fluid immediately after buying it, they'll all be running low by now and it will cure any rev-in-neutral-then-slam-into-gear issues. Plus there are only 50 left according to the DVLA so you're buying a more exclusive edition than the Storm ;)

Stone

We've had one for years. As said on a run I've had decent mpg figures out of it but around town they are pretty bad. It's the stop start stuff where you use the juice with them but you could say the same for a manual. I've just had a blast out in ours this evening and its still very good fun, even with the slush box.