jimbobcornwall

Hydraulic. Timing bolt tensioner vr6

Hi guys got timing all sorted on vr6 head and chain replacement , now the guide I read on vortex says older style tensioner like one that came in my kit , to bleed all the way back , now I'm concerned first time ya turn it over that way that there affectively could be no tension and completely mess up the timing , It says also that some put bit of oil on to give it some oil on initial start , what did u guys do , earring in mind mines the early style tensioner one without the spring

Hi, best thing to do on old style tensioner is bleed the tensioner by sticking a long straight hard piece of wire down the hole in the end and push down on the release valve. Have the bolt head end in a spray can cap filled with oil. Remove the wire and pull the end of the tensioner up around 5mm so it sucks up a little oil from the oil hole near the bolt thread. I have destroyed a cylinder head not doing the next bit! Unplug the fuel pump relay or ecu and turn the engine over just on the starter motor. You will hear the chains sounding very loose and clattery. As the oil presure increases the sound changes and the noise goes away. You now have tensioned chains! Plug everything back in and start you engine. Cheers!

Edited by 4DUST

How did it ruin ur head bud wat caused it to do that

I was in a hurry and thought it would be ok so as a result it jumped several teeth on both cams, all the valves got bent and it cracked the cylinder head!! I did not pre oil or allow the tension to build up just on the starter (which runs at about 50rpm). I foolishly put a new dry tensioner in and started the engine (that runs at 1200rpm on start up) and within a couple of seconds the cams had jumped the noise was awful and then stopped. It was an ABT big valve head that was destroyed so a BIG loss! If you follow the instructions you should be fine!

I was in a hurry and thought it would be ok so as a result it jumped several teeth on both cams, all the valves got bent and it cracked the cylinder head!! I did not pre oil or allow the tension to build up just on the starter (which runs at about 50rpm). I foolishly put a new dry tensioner in and started the engine (that runs at 1200rpm on start up) and within a couple of seconds the cams had jumped the noise was awful and then stopped. It was an ABT big valve head that was destroyed so a BIG loss! If you follow the instructions you should be fine!

Thanks for ur help bud , shame on ur head yeah we do these silly things , hopefully putting engine back in Sunday so il know if alls ok soon lol