Jamie

WTF is wrong with my sunroof????

Ok long story short - sunroof was tilting but not sliding. Works beautifully on the Allen key no resistance at all. Original motor wouldn't turn even when no load on so swapped motor. New motor put in and tried half a dozen times and worked every time. Next time I used the car about a week later it tilted but no more - wouldn't even close. Played about with the plug and it started working again. Couple of the connectors on the plug looked a bit iffy so swapped the plug. Same thing - would only work if you jiggled the plug. Took the motor off and resoldered the plug joints. Put the motor on the car and worked perfectly. I must have tried it 30-40 times and it worked every time. Sorted! A week later and again it tilted open then nothing. If you put pressure on the plug it opens, but to get it to close you need to lever the plug down... There's no resistance on the guides at all and it closes lovely manually.

Any ideas??? It's really doing my head in now... :(

change the switch. sounds like water is gettin in the switch.. have u also checked your sunroof seal? if thats going thats what is letting the water in.

It's a bad connection somewhere. Might be worth just replacing the motor. 'Make do and mend' is great in most cases, but sometimes it's best just to give up on it and try something new. I'm pretty sure it's definitely NOT down to the mechanics of the sunroof.

Forgot to mention the switch - its also had a new switch. Sunroof seal is in excellent condition as well.

Maybe I'll try another motor then. I've cleaned up the pins on this one and was thinking of giving them a slight tinning with solder.

I'm 99.9% it's not a mechanical issue. I know its nothing major but its so annoying thinking yep that's done it, then back to square one next time out.