scorrado123

Coilover fitting on VR6

Hi all,

I will shortly be replacing the standard (I think) suspension on my M plate VR6 and had a question that I cant find the exact answer to on here.

I have seen a lot of posts mentioning top mounts, bearings, various nuts etc in relation to the fitting of coilovers but what I wanted to know is really a list of what parts should I buy (change) at the same time to ensure a good ride (in addition to the coilover kit)??

Cheers all!

Id also be interested to know of anything else to be replaced while fitting new coilovers as it next on the list for me

Interested to hear which coilies you've decided on?

Weitec hicon gt mate , iv been told good things about them so hopefully they will be a nice ride.

Ill be replacing the top mounts with lemforder parts as after a bit of research have been told are pretty good and can be had from ecp retailers,

Im more more interested to know if i need to replace any nuts and bolts while im at it tjat might of perished , or if they are all re usable

Weitec hicon gt mate , iv been told good things about them so hopefully they will be a nice ride.

Ill be replacing the top mounts with lemforder parts as after a bit of research have been told are pretty good and can be had from ecp retailers,

Im more more interested to know if i need to replace any nuts and bolts while im at it tjat might of perished , or if they are all re usable

Weitec do sound pretty good, whats the best price you've seen them for? Not heard of Lemforder before but ecp website says they are not compatible with the VR? I'm sure I've read on here that the original top mounts from VW are the best ones to use??

So iv been told mate , i did a little research and found thise to be best for my budget , i was going to go for kw but kw weitec and ap coilovers are all made by the same company , there just branded for different price markets and obviously they will have better components the more you oay for a kit , i chose the middle one really and paid 400 i think it was from venom , im sure i heard the prices have changed bow tho as they are stopping making the kw v1 basic coilovers and in place are re vamping the hicon gt to take its place with updated parts

Lemforder are a reputable make and iv also heard febi bilstein are good but not quite as good as lemforder , dealer parts for topmounts will be expensive compared to ecp im sure i asked a while back and a new top mount was around 40 each , at those prices id be black listed very quik so i suppose its all down to budget , im in the proces of renewing all the suspension components so going with lemforder as much as possible with exeption to some power flex steering rack mounts and power flex anti roll bushes to hopefully stiffen it up in the right places , id be carefull with how much you power flex the car though as doing the full lot will provide a harsh ride with all that stiffness if you was planning anything like that

So iv been told mate , i did a little research and found thise to be best for my budget , i was going to go for kw but kw weitec and ap coilovers are all made by the same company , there just branded for different price markets and obviously they will have better components the more you oay for a kit , i chose the middle one really and paid 400 i think it was from venom , im sure i heard the prices have changed bow tho as they are stopping making the kw v1 basic coilovers and in place are re vamping the hicon gt to take its place with updated parts

Lemforder are a reputable make and iv also heard febi bilstein are good but not quite as good as lemforder , dealer parts for topmounts will be expensive compared to ecp im sure i asked a while back and a new top mount was around 40 each , at those prices id be black listed very quik so i suppose its all down to budget , im in the proces of renewing all the suspension components so going with lemforder as much as possible with exeption to some power flex steering rack mounts and power flex anti roll bushes to hopefully stiffen it up in the right places , id be carefull with how much you power flex the car though as doing the full lot will provide a harsh ride with all that stiffness if you was planning anything like that

I've just done a bit of checking and I'm hearing exactly the same as you regarding the changes in branding. I've just ordered a set of Weitecs too! :thumbleft:

As for the other bits...dont really know where to start! New topmounts will definately be bought, do I NEED to change the other bits (powerflex) that you have mentioned? Are you fitting yours yourself??

Cheers

They should come with their own top nuts you can use.

You may want to replace the nuts and bolts that hold shock body to the wheel bearing housing, there are two each side. They might be fine, but i replaced mine.

Also you aren't really meant to re-use the nyloc nuts on the lower ball joints, track rod ends. These nuts all come with a wheel bearing when you order one, i ordered them individually but also ordered wheel bearings so got two lots.

While your there its worth checking condition of the wishbone bushes, rear axle bushes, i did new top mounts front and back as well

---------- Post added at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 AM ----------

Steering rack bush and anti roll bar bushes are a much bigger/harder job than just fitting coilovers.

Yep iv just checked on venom and there 616 now wich is a fair bit more , too mounts are a must id say going on what iv read , and im fitting it all my self then getting a good four wheel alignment on it when its done , iv never fitted coilover on a corrado before but it cant be that hard a job im just gonna get stuck in

As jim says aswell the other bits arent to do with the coilovers i just mentioned them as thats what im doing i just didnt make my self clear

Oh i rang ecp aswell and front top mounts are 20 odd and the rears are a special order part so ill rimg them back after dinner to find out prices and makes , there not available in lemforder tho and are a make called skf wich iv never heard of but was assured by him that they made good parts , weather you believe it or not is another thing

Yep iv just checked on venom and there 616 now wich is a fair bit more , too mounts are a must id say going on what iv read , and im fitting it all my self then getting a good four wheel alignment on it when its done , iv never fitted coilover on a corrado before but it cant be that hard a job im just gonna get stuck in

As jim says aswell the other bits arent to do with the coilovers i just mentioned them as thats what im doing i just didnt make my self clear

Oh i rang ecp aswell and front top mounts are 20 odd and the rears are a special order part so ill rimg them back after dinner to find out prices and makes , there not available in lemforder tho and are a make called skf wich iv never heard of but was assured by him that they made good parts , weather you believe it or not is another thing

Nice one! Let us know how you get on. SKF is what came up online when I had a look at ecp website.

Shame you're so far away, otherwise would have loved to see the process (and possibly get a hand with fitting! ;)

Yea thats what they supply , i know that andrew pages supply febi parts aswell

Tbh id like a hand with mine lol but it cant be anything other than working back until the old suspension is off and then putting the new on in exactly the same process , im going to do the backs first as mine are shagged and making some strange moaning and creaking noises , id definatly get it four wheel alignes aswell otherwise you will end up with ****ed tyres and bad handling , a dicky bird told me that people have been claiming of the council for alignments as the roads are that **** they have been knocking cars geomitry all over the place ,tbh i dont see why they shouldnt you pay the road tax and get jack **** back for it

Yea thats what they supply , i know that andrew pages supply febi parts aswell

Tbh id like a hand with mine lol but it cant be anything other than working back until the old suspension is off and then putting the new on in exactly the same process , im going to do the backs first as mine are shagged and making some strange moaning and creaking noises , id definatly get it four wheel alignes aswell otherwise you will end up with ****ed tyres and bad handling , a dicky bird told me that people have been claiming of the council for alignments as the roads are that **** they have been knocking cars geomitry all over the place ,tbh i dont see why they shouldnt you pay the road tax and get jack **** back for it

Well good luck with it all, I dont think I'll be getting mine fitted for a month or so, so look forward to hearing about how good they are once you have fitted yours!! :)

Edited by scorrado123
sp

Good stuff , me on the other hand will !! Im struggling to get the top mounts for the rear and there now a special order part from ecp

Hooe you get on well with yours anyway mate

Good stuff , me on the other hand will !! Im struggling to get the top mounts for the rear and there now a special order part from ecp

Hooe you get on well with yours anyway mate

Aaah may have the same issue, planning on getting my mechanic (neighbour too which is handy!) to check the current state of bits and bobs to work out what else I need to get done at the same time..

Edited by scorrado123

Spoke to vw heritage today and they can supply origional top mounts , iv ordered both sides and it came to 20 quid so its pennys for origional parts

Iv also ordered front too mounts now and all the bolts from tps who supply origional parts and that all came to 53 pounds but thats with my mate ordering them through his work place at discounted rates

Hope you get sorted what kind of miles has your car done ? Have you any service history with the car or reciepts to show they have been done in the past

Spoke to vw heritage today and they can supply origional top mounts , iv ordered both sides and it came to 20 quid so its pennys for origional parts

Iv also ordered front too mounts now and all the bolts from tps who supply origional parts and that all came to 53 pounds but thats with my mate ordering them through his work place at discounted rates

Hope you get sorted what kind of miles has your car done ? Have you any service history with the car or reciepts to show they have been done in the past

That sounds like a bargain!

Mine has got 99k on the clock and a fair bit of paperwork, I'll look through it tonight to see if I can find anything to do with the mounts (cant believe I've not already done that tbf!)

So apart from the coilies you have ordered:

front top mounts - do they come with bolts etc?

rear mounts - do they come with bolts etc?

anything else??

Iv ordered the top mounts for the fronts and rear , the bolts are for the actual fitting of the coilovers im just renewing them for piece of mind , they are nothing to do with the top mounts , and the coilovers them selfs should have a new top nut on them

Iv ordered the top mounts for the fronts and rear , the bolts are for the actual fitting of the coilovers im just renewing them for piece of mind , they are nothing to do with the top mounts , and the coilovers them selfs should have a new top nut on them

So in theory I dont actually 'need' to get anything extra at all if I were to use the existing top mounts??

No you can re use all your parts but i think thats just whats advised unless you have already changed them or they have been do e in the recent past , i think once the corrado is lowered it puts quite a lot more stress on the top mounts thats all

I put a post in the 'how to identify dead top mounts' sticky thread a couple of days ago with a few pics of mine. Not sure if they are dead or not?!?

My rubber part of the top mounts have always been fine when i take them off, changed them 3 times anyway. Last time i sold the ones that came off as they were still totally useable and couldn't tell much difference from the brand new ones.

I hear people saying its the bearing that go, again, never noticed it on mine and i'm driven nearly 70,000miles in it. I have changed them a few times but never because i thought they were knackered etc.

As jim says , you dont have to but its piece of mind doing them while your there , if there ok and your happy to leave them then im sure you will be fine bud

As jim says , you dont have to but its piece of mind doing them while your there , if there ok and your happy to leave them then im sure you will be fine bud

Hmmm, I'll see what the mechanic reckons. any update on yours??